Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Hi all!

Before I end up doing something drastic due to lack of experience, I wondered if any of you could give me some advice on how to resolve my bonnet to scuttle gap.  The wings/bonnet/front panel gaps are bang on and level! Really pleased with them. However, where the bonnet meets the scuttle, it appears to be too low and doesn't follow the contour properly. All panels are heritage.

RQKbGLO.jpg

RAjmNEO.jpg

b0Eu3qB.jpg

RNEV4TD.jpg

8QohxbA.jpg

#2 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:33 PM

Hi Steve,

My BMH shell is like this. You may be able to raise the trailing edge of the bonnet by messing around with the hinges a little.

My bonnet profile is exactly the same as this and whilst Im not a body repair expert there are probably ways of improving the match.

There are a few really good guys in this forum with regard to bodywork who will be along soon with advice, Sonikk4 & Ben-O on the Isle-of-Wight spring to mind.

I did improve matters a little by moving the bonnet backwards slightly but the the trailing edge of the bonnet strikes the offside wiper arm if you move it back too far....

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by Stevie W, 26 December 2017 - 06:37 PM.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,894 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:48 PM

My heritage bonnet to scuttle was not brilliant Steve and made some subtle adjustments with blocks of wood just to tweak things at the back (Lifting in the middle and then tweaking as you went out each side, be careful here as it will affect the gaps either side). Also the curve of the bonnet did not truly match the scuttle curvature as per your pictures. I had to use a dolly and block to adjust this.

On my lads car i did the opposite and tapped the scuttle down with blocks of wood after i could not get the bonnet to curve up properly BUT that was a truly abysmal pattern bonnet and never ever again.

All in all the Heritage bonnet is not all that sports and i had two of the buggers.

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:49 PM

Hi Stevie,

i've tried to reshape the bonnet a little using some gentle prying with wood but not getting anywhere. I even tried putting my full weight on the scuttle to see if it could bent it down a little, but that had no impact either!

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

My heritage bonnet to scuttle was not brilliant Steve and made some subtle adjustments with blocks of wood just to tweak things at the back (Lifting in the middle and then tweaking as you went out each side, be careful here as it will affect the gaps either side). Also the curve of the bonnet did not truly match the scuttle curvature as per your pictures. I had to use a dolly and block to adjust this.

On my lads car i did the opposite and tapped the scuttle down with blocks of wood after i could not get the bonnet to curve up properly BUT that was a truly abysmal pattern bonnet and never ever again.

All in all the Heritage bonnet is not all that sports and i had two of the buggers.

Hi Neil,

I think I may have to put my back into it, been fearful of going guns blazing and bending something beyond simple repair. I know this isn't going to be perfect, but even a little improvement would be good!

If i can get the bonnet in line with the scuttle, my other option is to add a slit at the back of the bonnet skin and create a new curve then weld it up.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,894 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:58 PM

Hi Neil,

I think I may have to put my back into it, been fearful of going guns blazing and bending something beyond simple repair. I know this isn't going to be perfect, but even a little improvement would be good!

If i can get the bonnet in line with the scuttle, my other option is to add a slit at the back of the bonnet skin and create a new curve then weld it up.

Be very careful if you do down the welding route. If there is any tension at all in the bonnet skin it will ping and distort.

Shape a bit of wood to match the contour of the scuttle and apply a liberal beating with it to the underside of the bonnet edge to see what shape you can realise.

You would think with the cost involved with Heritage we would get a decent fit and finish but alas no. Always something to adjust and sometimes quite harshly.

#7 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

remember there is a trim which fits on the scuttle

it may raise the back of the bonnet & make things look better

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:24 PM

Hi Neil,

Be very careful if you do down the welding route. If there is any tension at all in the bonnet skin it will ping and distort.

Shape a bit of wood to match the contour of the scuttle and apply a liberal beating with it to the underside of the bonnet edge to see what shape you can realise.

You would think with the cost involved with Heritage we would get a decent fit and finish but alas no. Always something to adjust and sometimes quite harshly.

Think i may give the welding route a miss then.

Just been into the garage to give it a go and also give the scuttle a few whacks with a block of wood and i've royally ******* it. Bent the scuttle. So, back to square one. Although I did give the bonnet a go at bending and it seems to have worked! Just really pi55ed off with the scuttle.

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,894 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:26 PM

Hi Neil,

Think i may give the welding route a miss then.

Just been into the garage to give it a go and also give the scuttle a few whacks with a block of wood and i've royally ******* it. Bent the scuttle. So, back to square one. Although I did give the bonnet a go at bending and it seems to have worked! Just really pi55ed off with the scuttle.

Hammer and block time Steve, don't go mental and take your time. To be honest i would step back now, have a beer and have another go fresh tomorrow. 

#10 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:40 PM

Yep. Done for this evening. Its probably not as bad as it looks, just was doing so well up until now O_O

wVPenDs.jpg

owgwnPn.jpg

YJfyp4r.jpg

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,894 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:44 PM

Those dents will dress out. Not the end of the world.

#12 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:05 PM

​Looking at the pictures it looks like the centre of the bonnet is being pushed up, usually by the hinges. 
Take the bonnet off and pull the hinges towards the nearest wing, gently push down the back centre of the bonnet, refit the bonnet and you should find the bonnet fits better.

#13 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

​Looking at the pictures it looks like the centre of the bonnet is being pushed up, usually by the hinges. 
Take the bonnet off and pull the hinges towards the nearest wing, gently push down the back centre of the bonnet, refit the bonnet and you should find the bonnet fits better.

Not sure I get you. The bonnet used to sit low, now it's fine after bending the bonnet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users