#1 rubdub

rubdub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:09 PM

Hey guys,

Just picked myself up a Minivation cup holder and planning on fitting it to my 98 MPI. I want to mount it under the dash rail by the door on the passenger side. But with the fuse box and bonnet release, it seems I would have to place the holder directly behind where the keys would hang. I'm thinking of cutting off the bonnet release mount and moving that somewhere else under the dash and putting the cup holder in it's place. Have many people done this before? What did you do to remount the bonnet release cable?

Cheers

#2 M111OWW

M111OWW

Woody

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

I quite fancy one of these too.

I'm thinking of having a solenoid to operate the bonnet release, that way there's a button instead of a cable...

just a thought..

#3 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:00 PM

I'm thinking of having a solenoid to operate the bonnet release, that way there's a button instead of a cable...

just a thought..

and if the battery dies... ;)

#4 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:33 PM

just a thought..

Good thing the battery is in the boot... 😂

#5 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: none yet

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:51 PM

just a thought..

Manual override somewhere that doesn't interfere with your cup holder.  Rear bin would be where i would put it 

#6 Xinarin13

Xinarin13

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

I would LOVE to see it installed! I am going to get one eventually, my only hesitation is that I am not sure where it would work best as I am also in the process of adding a 3 port 12v outlet box under there as well... SO I am looking for ideas.

#7 rubdub

rubdub

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

Haven't done it yet but hopefully soon! Weather has been crap over here recently.

I added a usb socket thingy there last year. Mounted it under the lower dash rail on the passenger side, and got a switched accessory feed from the heater switch. Is still an easy reach from drivers seat. It's also nicely hidden under dash. If I remember to tomorrow, I'll take a pic.

#8 Xinarin13

Xinarin13

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

If they made one, would anybody be interested in one that fits into the ashtray on the dash?

#9 Xinarin13

Xinarin13

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

(the slot where the ashtray goes that is)

#10 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:24 PM

That would be one HIGH cup holder!

I was thinking about moving the bonnet release as well. Not for a cup holder but rather to add an extra aux gauge. I currently have two mounted between the bonnet release and the steering column, but wanted 3. Cant/won't mount in dash as my Monte Carlo came with the fog switch mounted next to the clock...but not where you could cut it out and make it another hole. Anyway, interested in seeing what you come up with. I was half thinking of just moving it to the other side of the column and calling it a day. 

#11 Xinarin13

Xinarin13

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:46 PM

lol, maybe, but not much higher than some. I just really need a cupholder, but I don't want to add plastic bits to my mini if I can help it, and I really want it mounted somewhere, not just loose on the floor... Have not found a viable alternative so far though... might just have to go with the Minivation one and find a place for it. My only problem with it is that I really would like it to adjust to the sides of my cup and the only ones I have found like that are tacky, cheap, plastic ones or GIANT gaudy things lol

Edited by Xinarin13, 22 February 2018 - 01:47 PM.

#12 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

I went about the cup holder thing in a different way and mounted a matching pair to the front of the heater and they work really well. Gave them a slight modify to improve the feel of them and put a non slip liner in the base. Look like they were meant to be there and work spot on.

Minivation make nice product, Ive seen the cup holder and the phone mount, both very nice.

Attached File  8E5AAA6B-D4C7-418B-AC1F-C8B09870BC22.jpeg   69.08K   10 downloads

#13 Xinarin13

Xinarin13

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

I went about the cup holder thing in a different way and mounted a matching pair to the front of the heater and they work really well. Gave them a slight modify to improve the feel of them and put a non slip liner in the base. Look like they were meant to be there and work spot on.
Minivation make nice product, Ive seen the cup holder and the phone mount, both very nice.
attachicon.gif8E5AAA6B-D4C7-418B-AC1F-C8B09870BC22.jpeg

saw a chrome version of those... do they hold multiple size drinks securely? The front of my heater isn't completely flat, how did you deal with that? Is yours a factory heater? Also, did you leather wrap your lower rail?

#14 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

Minivation make nice product, Ive seen the cup holder and the phone mount, both very nice.attachicon.gif8E5AAA6B-D4C7-418B-AC1F-C8B09870BC22.jpeg

saw a chrome version of those... do they hold multiple size drinks securely? The front of my heater isn't completely flat, how did you deal with that? Is yours a factory heater? Also, did you leather wrap your lower rail?

They seem to be holding anything weve put in them, including big 1l water bottles very well. I bought them for about £2.50 each of eBay and wasnt expecting much quality but theyre fine so far - I did smooth and lubricatte the moving parts though.

Theyre screwed with 2 big self tappers at the top into the plastic of the heater distribution box with some strong double sided tape for added security. There is a gaper the bottom ⅓ and its where another pair of mounting screw should go through. I just left the gap, with the intention of making a wedge to fill the gap and use the other 2 mounting holes, just didnt get round to it and all seems good to go anyway. I kind of fitted them in a hurry while preparing the car for the big drive to IMM last May.

Ours is the original factory fitted heater and wasnt too worried about making a mess of it as Ive another spare here. Id bought it to salvage the resistor coil for the 2 speed fan.

Yes, I did leather wrap the lower rail, was done to match the top dash pad, got matching handbrake and gear gators too, was impressed with the quality of the materials and went on very nicely. Our dash pads had the odd hole and bad marks so tidied up nicely.

On the passenger side of the heater, I mounted a double power point/USB charger that is used a lot - our car does a lot of road trips. I also got a great shelf made from GRP that I covered with speaker board felt and has proved great storage. We did a few treasure hunt / navigation things last summer and have pen clips / torches discreetly mounted to the side. Was very pleased with the job.Attached File  05285B12-7016-49DB-8AD6-FDF7ECF5958B.jpeg   78.63K   4 downloads

#15 Xinarin13

Xinarin13

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:04 PM

I really like it! The gap in the bottom 1/3 isnt visible in the pic, so it looked flush to me... which meant that the heater had to be flat... so it couldnt be original lol. Makes sense now, and it is good to hear that they dont have to be flush.

Do you mean Nalgene style 1L bottles? That would be awesome as I use those all of the time!

Shelf looks great, though i dont know what grp is... did you wrap the dash and kneeboard (?) Yourself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users