#1 nospamprl

nospamprl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Local Club: Miniasociados Mexico

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:57 AM

I have. 998cc Mini 30 in Mexico, where the coldest mornings in the year are 45-50 degrees, not really cold.

After being parked for about a week or more, the first cold start is difficult, the starter seems to have not enough power. Obviusly my first guess is that the battery is not at its optimum level and it has a hard time to push enough power.

But I have another theory due to the fact that it is only on the very first start. If I turn off the engine immediattly, lets say after 3 or 5 seconds and try to start again, it starts perfectly.

Im sure 3 seconds is not enough to bring the battery to an optimum level, so my guess is more on the side that the difficult start is more on the side of having a "dry" carburator and that on the second start it has enough fuel to start.

My cold start technique is justvpulling the choke cable halfway and turn the key without pumping the throttle before. After 30 seconds running I can push back the choke and the engine runs smoothly.

So, what do you think? May it be only a battery not supplying enough power or should I try something on the carb side like pumping the throttle pedal a couple of times?

Thanks and happy holidays!

Edited by nospamprl, 27 December 2017 - 02:00 AM.

#2 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:56 AM

Sounds pretty normal. You need to drive it more! Slightly weak battery and it just takes a little while to get fuel to where it needs to be. Take it for a very good run or give the battery a charge

#3 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

Cold starting should not be difficult, the usual culprit is a resistance in the starting circuit. Look up voltage drop tests int he starting circuit and perform these on your car. This will identify where, if any problems are.

https://m.youtube.co... drop test&sm=1

Some of these vids may help.

Ac

Edited by ACDodd, 27 December 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#4 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

I've had two Minis now where the cold start requires two turns of the key, the first is only for about 5 seconds, on the second turn it pops right off! No idea why, but if you just let it crank on the first turn it will not start, on the second turn it fires of immediately.....Result, I just turn the key twice and off I go.

I've been all thru the charging circuit, the battery is fully up, the alternator is putting out 13.8 to 14V, new starter and it has electronic ignition, no points to fuss with. So I just do the 2 turns and don't worry about it.

When warm it starts on the first turn of the key.

Edited by Magneto, 27 December 2017 - 05:25 PM.

#5 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

It could simply be the fuel draining back to the tank and the pump taking it's time to draw some through. Try a spoon full of fuel down the carb throat next time you start it, if it fires straight away then there could be a problem with passing valves in the fuel pump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users