10 replies to this topic

#1 stuartlowe72

stuartlowe72

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:54 PM

Hi can anyone give advice to me on what to buy please? I have a BMW Z3 in perfect condition, super low mileage (less than 32k) leather, electric and heated seats, m pack and it is a 1.9 in black with red leather seats. Anyway I've really always wanted a Mini cooper. I have found a website that selss Japanese fresh imports, all specced and made legal for the Uk - they seem to be able to sell the cars for cheaper than you'd expect to buy. What advice can anyone give please? should I buy a Japanese import or should I buy one from the UK?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:56 PM

Makes little difference between UK or Jap. But the seller may be the issue.

#3 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:15 AM

Japanese car may well be less rusty just make sure you take someone with you who knows mini. rust is the main issue and can be expensive to fix

#4 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:38 AM

Bodywork is everything. 'Surface rust' is rarely that - Minis rust from the inside out. Check the sills (make sure they have the vents and are not unvented 'oversills' - see the threads on here for more on them), inside the rear companion boxes, below the headlamps, front and rear valance, as much of the floor as you can see (lift the carpets), scuttle, flitch panels, inside the wheelarches, boot etc...

Mechanical fixes are much easier and cheaper than the bodywork. Japanese cars are reputed to be good buys as there is no road salt used there, but they are very slightly more mechanically complex as they have air con and retained a version of the SPI engine after everywhere else went to MPI.

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

Many Japanese Minis are automatic and also have air conditioning fitted as standard which does not leave much space under the bonnet!

#6 stuartlowe72

stuartlowe72

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded - very helpful indeed. Seems to me like it wouldn't be a bad buy to buy a import but I need to check the rust everywhere to be safe.

Thanks again guys, I hope to get a mini and join for more chat and help.

Happy New Year

Stu

Edited by Ethel, 31 December 2017 - 08:31 PM.
forum rules on selling

#7 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:20 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of minis. It’s definitely worth reading as much as you can before you jump in and buy one, even look at some videos on YouTube where people will talk through the rust issues and where to look etc. Words are great, but seeing what to look for can often be much more helpful to relate when you go and view a car.

If you are serious about getting into minis, this forum will be a great resource to you. It is well worth considering getting TMF+. It will cost you a mere £5 a year (I think it still costs this), but it will give you discount in a lot of mini related places so you will likely get the £5 back after your first purchase. Not only that, it helps support the forum and it will also allow you to put an ad up for your BMW in the NON MINI items (if you don’t get TMF+, you will need to have 150 relevant posts to be able to sell something, and I believe posts in general chat areas don’t count). Personally, I’d edit out your mobile phone number as well. Once you have an ad for your BMW up, people can contact you by PM and swap details that way. It stops a whole range of dodgy people getting hold of your number.

Good luck with the reading, searching, looking and buying. It’s all part of the fun. You’ll spend ages doing it, or at least you should, in order to find the right one. It’s worth getting to a few shows if you can as well. The first one is Bingley in January!

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

Classic Minis are FUN.

However unless the classic Mini is just a second (or 3rd) car for weekend fun, be sure you actually do want to change a reliable, quick, safe and comfortable modern car for one which was designed 60 years ago.

My everyday cars is a BMW, as is my wife's, and I certainly wouldn't want to change it for a classic Mini.

My old Minis are strictly for fun driving over relatively short distances.

#9 minisprint

minisprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Local Club: GR8 minis

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

Ive personally imported seven minis from Japan ! Ive got three in at the moment ! In my eyes they are the best value for money ! Pm me if you need any info

#10 Haygate

Haygate

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:44 PM

Classic Minis are FUN.
However unless the classic Mini is just a second (or 3rd) car for weekend fun, be sure you actually do want to change a reliable, quick, safe and comfortable modern car for one which was designed 60 years ago.
My everyday cars is a BMW, as is my wife's, and I certainly wouldn't want to change it for a classic Mini.
My old Minis are strictly for fun driving over relatively short distances.

I agree with that, i dont think I would want to go back to winter driving in a mini when you have damp carpets and cant see out of the windscreen for the mist etc, although at the time I loved my minis. At 40 although I am itching to tax it on a sunny winters day I know I am best to leave it on stands in the garage until spring when I can go out for a few hours blast on my own.
Daily driving is not for me, although i have been looking on eBay at r53s for fun all year round :)

#11 stuartlowe72

stuartlowe72

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

Oh it won't be my everyday car. Its been a dream of mine for years to have a mini cooper. My da had one its a memory i cherish and just want one for myself to keep in the garage and take the odd trip out with my wife and daughter and maybe get int a few clubs to do a few weekend shows etc. Really pleased to say I have sold the BMWZ3 super quick for a great price so I am now on the hunt for that perfect mini cooper.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, Stu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users