7 replies to this topic

#1 bdean

bdean

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

I just wanted to confirm if I need to remove all 4 of these bolts to release the rear subframe? I have managed to release to two outer bolts going through the trunnion. Following good advice to tighten first, then loosen, then tighten, loosen etc.

I have removed the upper of the inner bolts also. To confirm these are shorter than the outer bolts (and I have not sheared it off!!)? I have loosened the lower inner bolt but it does not seem to fit past the radius arm hence me wondering if I only need to remove the outer two?

MJVai9A.jpg?1

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

The rear subframe is held on with 8 bolts, 4 on the heelboard (2 each side shown in your picture above and below the radius arm bolt) these can easily snap off so again tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen etc with some penetrating spray (not WD40). Then the other 4 nut and bolts are in the boot 2 can be seen on the drivers side but the fuel tank need to be removed on the passengers side. Don't forget to release the handbrake cable, power cable, brake and the fuel pipe. The bolts you have undone didn't need to be undone at this stage.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:12 PM

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

I would be buying a Haynes manual as thinks like this are fully covered in it and you will need the info in it for further work.

#5 bdean

bdean

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

OK, I thought everything was going too well. 7 of 8 of the subframe mounting bolts removed. I’ve put them back in for now but at least I know they are all loose. The last one, one that fastens through the boot under the fuel tank the nut on the underside is rounded off. It seemed to be like this before I even started trying to remove it.

Any suggestions?

I have a Fein multi|-tool with a cutting blade and gave that a try at cutting the head off the nut in the boot so I could punch it out but it didn’t really have much of an impact, lots of heat and smoke! (Yes I have removed the fuel tank).

#6 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

I had quite the same on one of the rear shock fixing nut. Rusted in, after trying to loosen it I rounded it off. I used a nut splitter to break the nut open and loads of WD40 to be finally able to unscrew it with bigger sized wrench.

Otherwise you could try to cut the head (or nut) of the bolt (the one in the boot, I assume it's easier) with an angle grinder as you already removed the fuel tank.

Easy to say if it's the screw towards the wheel...

This is altough the hard-core variant ;)

#7 bdean

bdean

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

Would a Dremel be up to the task of cutting the head off the bolt? Are the subframe bolts hardened? I wasn't sure if I could be delicate enough with an angle grinder without damaging the boot floor i.e. you would be attacking it at an angle rather than the flat cutting disc that you could use on a Dremel. 

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

They're not hardened or even high tensile - a Dremel should easily cut the head off.

Or centre punch it and drill it off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users