6 replies to this topic

#1 bdean

bdean

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Can anybody confirm which side is the nut that is holding the brake hose to the bracket on the radius arm? It looks like the left but wanted to double check before I start trying to remove it.

I will be replacing the hoses anyway so may end up cutting it off if it won't budge!

2EbA4c7.jpg?1

#2 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

Yep the nut on the left screws off and the hexagon on the other side of the bracket is part of the hose. A good dose of release oil left over night should help getting it apart.

#3 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

Hi, the nut is indeed on the left in the picture. I would clean the threads with a wire brush them a dose of WD40 (or similar) before you try and undo it. The nut on the right is to hold the pipe still whilst you undo or tighten the nut. Try and get it off with out resorting to cutting and it is good practice from when you have to remove a stubborn fixing that you can't afford to damage. The other thing worth trying is a bit of heat on the nut from a blow lamp (this would probably melt the rubber hose, so is only any use if the pipes are junk. Good luck

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

For the cost of the parts and the importance of what they do, I'd cut the old one off and fit new.

#5 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

When I replaced mine I needed to hold the hexagonal part of the fitting, with another spanner, because it all started to twist when I was trying to release the nut.

I agree with Moke Spider about replacing the flexible hoses with new ones.

#6 Woolfie 640

Woolfie 640

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Moke club

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:06 PM

Hi, the nut is indeed on the left in the picture. I would clean the threads with a wire brush them a dose of WD40 (or similar) before you try and undo it. The nut on the right is to hold the pipe still whilst you undo or tighten the nut. Try and get it off with out resorting to cutting and it is good practice from when you have to remove a stubborn fixing that you can't afford to damage. The other thing worth trying is a bit of heat on the nut from a blow lamp (this would probably melt the rubber hose, so is only any use if the pipes are junk. Good luck

Be aware that brake fluid is flammable . Cut the rubber hose off the fitting before applying a blowtorch or you will get a flashback of ignited fluid trying to force its way out of the open hole. Been there and almost lost the eyebrows.

#7 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:09 PM

Cut it off,

Pipe will be half shot through damp ingress over the years, so just whip it off, takes seconds with a plasma disc

Saves lots of swearing and knuckle damage too  !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users