5 replies to this topic

#1 Sprok

Sprok

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

Im having trouble lining up the rear valence with the wheel arch and the bracket containing the subframe strengthening plate and valence closure plate. Look everywhere but cant find a photo to help.
Basically ive replaced the back section of boot floor and fitted a new wheel arch. Ive bolted the subframe to the healboard And have marked the position for the subframe strengthening plate/valence closure plate bracket using the position of the rear trunions. The brakets seem to fit nicely around the rear wheen arch but when i come to fit the valence the closure plate is preventing the valence from going forwards enough ie the valence is a quarter inch too far to the rear. All panels are heritage. The only solution i can think of is to cut the closure plate where it joins its base plate. Allow the backing plate to move forwards and then weld in new position. BUT i cant help thinking these should be a straight fit and i shouldnt be needing to cut brand new brakets ?? Anyone come Across this ? Why do the rear of the heritage wheelarches have a lip that bends in towards the wheel well ? Seems wrong but theyre obviously made that way for a reason ? Ive got photos ill try and post.
Any help much appreciated cheers jon

#2 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

the lip on the wheel arch it to weld the subframe/valance closing panel too 

#3 Sprok

Sprok

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

Thought as much. But the face of the closing plate sits back about 1/4 inch from the lip on the arch. I thought the closing plate face should finish flush with the join between the back quarter and the rear panel ? If i fit the bracket onto the wheel arch lip the closing plate sits too far back ? Hard to explain i know.

#4 bluemini1979

bluemini1979

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

I know what you mean. I just had the same problem on. 93 Italian job. Original boot floor and rear arches, was just replacing the balance and closures. I ended up cutting the closing panel as you have suggested to allow the balance to come further forward with the base plate holes lined up

#5 Sprok

Sprok

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:09 AM

Thanks ! Yeh seems the best option. Cant figure out how this ever works without cutting!

The part of the braket that wraps around the arch fits snug, then the bracket has a flat section running backwards which sits on the boot floor - thats a fixed distance which purs the 90 degree bend ( that closes the valence off) too far back. Must be something im missing.
Its like the bracket should have a flat section on the boot floor it wants to bend immediately from the bottom arch flange straight down into the closure plate ? Really odd

#6 bluemini1979

bluemini1979

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

Yep mine were exactly the same. Almost like the top part that closes the valance is being welded on in the wrong place

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users