LukeW10

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

Good evening everyone.

Im new to the forum so a big hello!!!!

I have used the search function but can seem to find anything that is helping me.

I bought my mini at the start of November just gone and it had been running great. I mean I picked it up from Portsmouth and risked the almost 300 mile trip to North Yorkshire. The car didnt miss a beat and was absolutely perfect.
Its a 1991 Morris mini shell with a 1988 1275 A+ engine which had just been re built by the previous owner.
Its my first mini but my family has had minis in the past.

Ive been using it regularly and havent had any problems until I needed help from my daily drive car on 28/12/17 in order to jump start it. It kicked up after a few seconds and was fine. I then wrapped the mini up and went on a little holiday for the long weekend.
Ive come back and tried to start the mini today with no avail. Again trying to jump start it with the daily driver but no success. Its trying to start I.e. the starter motor is going but its not firing.

So far I have checked all the spark plugs, cleaned them and made sure that they have a spark, bought a new ignition coil which Ive fitted and then re fitted the old one to still have no firing. Ive cleaned all the connections to wiring and cleaned the dizzy.

I believe I need a new battery as its just not up to the job but even when connected to my other car it just ticks over and over but doesnt fire.

I cant seem to put my finger on what is stopping it firing. Does anyone have any advise no matter how stupid? I am mechanically minded to a certain extent so hit me with your suggestions please. TIA

#2 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

Good evening everyone.

Im new to the forum so a big hello!!!!

I have used the search function but can seem to find anything that is helping me.

I bought my mini at the start of November just gone and it had been running great. I mean I picked it up from Portsmouth and risked the almost 300 mile trip to North Yorkshire. The car didnt miss a beat and was absolutely perfect.
Its a 1991 Morris mini shell with a 1988 1275 A+ engine which had just been re built by the previous owner.
Its my first mini but my family has had minis in the past.

Ive been using it regularly and havent had any problems until I needed help from my daily drive car on 28/12/17 in order to jump start it. It kicked up after a few seconds and was fine. I then wrapped the mini up and went on a little holiday for the long weekend.
Ive come back and tried to start the mini today with no avail. Again trying to jump start it with the daily driver but no success. Its trying to start I.e. the starter motor is going but its not firing.

So far I have checked all the spark plugs, cleaned them and made sure that they have a spark, bought a new ignition coil which Ive fitted and then re fitted the old one to still have no firing. Ive cleaned all the connections to wiring and cleaned the dizzy.

I believe I need a new battery as its just not up to the job but even when connected to my other car it just ticks over and over but doesnt fire.

I cant seem to put my finger on what is stopping it firing. Does anyone have any advise no matter how stupid? I am mechanically minded to a certain extent so hit me with your suggestions please. TIA

Sure it cant be fixed by pumping the throttle and moving the choke around a lil? Thats how i start my mini. Choke full, then pump the throttle while moving the choke in till she fires up then change the choke till shes idleing good. 

So the starter is engaged and its turning the engine? Check for fuel you havent mentioned that. Like any car check for Fuel, compression and a spark. 

#3 LukeW10

LukeW10

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

So it turns out you were correct! I believe it’s my fuel pump that’s gone. The Joys! Haha
Thanks for your help :D

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,372 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

If it's been stood, the carb float and jet may just need a bit of a clean.

As it's an engine swap confirm the ignition wiring, dizzy and coil are compatible. Your options are ballasted, unballasted or electronic.

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

Is it a mechanical or electrical fuel pump that's fitted? If electric you need one designed for 3psi

#6 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:27 AM

So it turns out you were correct! I believe it’s my fuel pump that’s gone. The Joys! Haha
Thanks for your help :D

If you click Follow this topic top right you will get notification when people comment. Also quote peoples posts it will send them a notificatation. 

From 1988 engine i guess its a carb mini.

Some things id check 

• If its a mechanical pump open the rocker cover oil cap have a sniff does it smell strongly of petrol? . Some petrol is okay but if it stinks strongly then the diaphram has failed and diluted your oil with petrol. Replace the pump and replace the oil before driving it as petrol makes oil useless essentially running an engine with no lubrication. 
  • Take the petrol line off the fuel bowl on the carb stick it in a bottle ask someone to crank it see if it pumps. 
  • if it is pumping then problem is with the carb /  external float float depending on the carb
  • if its not pumping then could be a  supply problem maybe blocked filter, airlock etc

If its an electric fuel pump, it may sound stupid but if you have an inertia fuel cutout check its not tripped. Maybe even try measure voltage to prove it. Check the previous things ignoring sniffing in the rocker cover. 

The day i bought my mini after 130 mile drive she tried to kill me. The needle valve on the float got blocked this then emptied a full tank out the overflow onto the conveniently positioned HOT exhaust manifold. Luckily it didnt go up. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users