20 replies to this topic

#1 srx600

srx600

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

I am new to Minis and have been trying to work out how the bonnet hinges attach to the bulkhead. After some googling and head scratching I have realised that the previous owner has removed the hinge brackets from the bulkhead. The car came with a fibreglass bonnet and pin brackets so they obvious decided they brackets were redundant.

Apart from buying a complete new bulkhead I can't seem to find a source for the brackets. Does anyone know if/where these can be obtained ?. One option could be to cut them out of an old shell.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

Your biggest problem now is once you acquire a set of mounts is fitting them to the bulkhead. To get around this buy a set of Minivation articulated hinges. No more banging your head on the bonnet and the biggest pain trying to align the original mounts.

#3 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

Your biggest problem now is once you acquire a set of mounts is fitting them to the bulkhead. To get around this buy a set of Minivation articulated hinges. No more banging your head on the bonnet and the biggest pain trying to align the original mounts.

I was going to suggest this but you'd have to hunt around for the previous version as the latest version fits to the original mounts. They are great hinges though.

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

It's the version 2.5 that bolts to the inner wing. send them a message and see if they still have a set.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

Mmm I might have to retract my first statement, however I can probably come up with measurements for locating the original mounts. Then use the Minivation hinges as well.

Oh and you cannot buy the mount so will need to get some second hand ones.

#6 srx600

srx600

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

Cheers for the responses. Will contact Minivation about the v2.5 hinges as that looks like an option, failing that I will try and source some second hand mounts.

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

As promised some pictures with measurements. This job is bloody difficult if you try fitting them with the scuttle in place. I have removed and refitted these on two cars now, both times with the scuttle off.

So from the inner wing to the vertical part of the outer hinge bracket is 1 1/4.

HEq2Djt.jpg

From the crossmember to the bottom of the hinges is 8"

gFgViEQ.jpg

wU3UURT.jpg

If you want the measurement of the width of the brackets on one side then the best thing to do is fit the hinge as this will act as your spacer. Then you can lay the brackets in place using the 1"1/4 measurement from the inner wing to position the pair. 

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

qipnSsH.jpg

This is from my Clubby resto. Each half is held in place by two spot welds, so plug welds will be fine.

And this is what i mean about the scuttle covering them

adqikMh.jpg

#9 srx600

srx600

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

That's really useful, the scuttle has been replaced at some point so it would be a shame to tear it off to do this. Will source some brackets and then go from there.

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

That's really useful, the scuttle has been replaced at some point so it would be a shame to tear it off to do this. Will source some brackets and then go from there.

Although i'm not up the workshop today we do have an old clubby shell outside that is scrap and that has the mount on. Not sure what condition they are on but if i dont go up there tomorrow i will be up there the end of next week.

#11 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

BMH must make them for their body shells, contact them.

#12 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

BMH must make them for their body shells, contact them.

Unfortunately they do not list them on their site, yes they are on the complete bulkhead so as you say ringing them would be the only way forward. They wont sell you them though, you will have to go through Somerford mini. I had this issue with a rear inner arch. They had to supply the panel to Somerford Mini (mine came with no Ecoat as thats all they had in stock at the time.)

#13 srx600

srx600

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

Although i'm not up the workshop today we do have an old clubby shell outside that is scrap and that has the mount on. Not sure what condition they are on but if i dont go up there tomorrow i will be up there the end of next week.

That would be great, thank you.

Steve

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

That would be great, thank you.

Steve

Any good to you?? £5 posted. I have marked them up for left and right. Each section is held on with two spot welds. Hopefully if you lay them in as they are there is sufficient material left of the old bulkhead to mirror where they fit on yours. If that is the case then some careful marking out should get you set in the correct position.

They will clean up by the way. A good wire brushing followed by some Bilt Hamber Deox gel or similar will clean off the rust. If you have a sand blaster to hand then even better.

uYZVkd7.jpg

#15 srx600

srx600

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

Excellent, if you send me a PM with the details I will get the money to you.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users