#1 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

A few years ago, my Son needed to bleed the brakes on his S2000, my Leon was three years old and according to the service info was due a brake fluid change, so we did both cars at the same time.
Adam bought blue coloured brake fluid which was great for flushing through the system as you could see when the colour changed to blue that all the old fluid was flushed out.
I need to replace the fluid on my Elf, I have tried to purchase blue fluid but it is no longer available. Does anyone know of a coloured fluid available or a suitable dye that could be added to the fluid to allow the visual indication that the old fluid was now replaced by the new fluid?

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

The blue die was removed because it wasn't DOT compliant. Never really seen anyone try to re-dye the fluid since!

#3 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

The new fluid is probably obvious when it comes through ..

#4 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

Not when they are virtually the same colour! The existing in the master cylinder reservoir is relatively clear with a yellow tinge, the new stuff would appear to be relatively clear with a yellow tinge.
The blue coloured fluid was great, when the blue came through, you knew you had flushed the old stuff out. Next time you wanted to do it, change back to the clear fluid and see the change.

#5 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

This may seem a bit of a stupid question. ATF Auto Transmission Fluid is red so could this be used?

#6 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

Nope, brake seals DO NOT like oil, grease and probably other hydrocarbon based stuff, if exposed to oil etc the seals swell and cause brake sticking issues, and it doesn't take long either.

Also at and brake fluid won't mix, also unlike oil brake fluid will absorb water so you don't get water pockets that could freeze in cold weather

#7 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

Ive never heard of this but have to admit it seems a really good idea. Shame, if like others have said, its no longer available

#8 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

Not when they are virtually the same colour! The existing in the master cylinder reservoir is relatively clear with a yellow tinge, the new stuff would appear to be relatively clear with a yellow tinge.
The blue coloured fluid was great, when the blue came through, you knew you had flushed the old stuff out. Next time you wanted to do it, change back to the clear fluid and see the change.

Well something you can blame the Yanks for then .. (rather than the idiots in Brussels - is that a first?) .. they banned its sale (and so manufacturers stopped making it)

And there is no "stupid" question .. but the answer to that one is "Nooooooooooooo!" .. ATF and brake fluid are definitely not the same thing!

What you see in the reservoir and what is down in the hoses and pistons may still be different colours. Suck out all the old fluid from the reservoir first, then fill with new. I'm pretty sure that the new fluid when it appears in the bleed hose (transparent obviously!) will be noticeable. Unless your braking system is all new parts, it picks up discolouration all through the system.

Edited by gazza82, 05 January 2018 - 05:32 PM.

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

Not sure if it's the same situation in the UK as here in Aust, but I've found colour varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Eg Valvoline Branded fluid is Blue while Castrol was Brown.

I swap brands every year for the same reason, when the new fluid comes through, it's easy to spot.

#10 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:09 PM

Watch out for coloured brake fluid, its pretty common for silicone fluid to be coloured to make it obvious to anyone wishing to change or top up the fluid since silicone doesn't mix with dot 3 / 4 / 5.1. 

It will be pretty obvious when you bleed the fluid through when its fresh if you're using a clear pipe, even on cars with fairly new fluid its still fairly obvious when the brand new fluid comes through. 

Don't put anything other than brake fluid in the braking system though! Especially not something oil based which will likely cause seals to swell and fail. Even mixing silicone and mineral fluids or changing between fluids without fitting new seals can cause total failure. 

#11 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

Not sure if it's the same situation in the UK as here in Aust, but I've found colour varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Eg Valvoline Branded fluid is Blue while Castrol was Brown.

I swap brands every year for the same reason, when the new fluid comes through, it's easy to spot.

In UK Castrol has 3 fluids the spec sheets state:-
DOT 4 clear bright yellow
React DOT 4 clear bright yellow
React DOT 4 Low Temp clear bright pale yellow

Valvoline have 3 fluids spec sheets show
DOT 3 Clear Yellow
DOT 4 clear yellow
DOT 5.1 clear Amber.
So not a lot of difference in the colours!

#12 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Back in the day Lockheed! fluid was darkish yellow colour and Girling! was red

and brake parts were made by these companies Ford were Girling! BMC and

a few others were Lockheed.

#13 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:29 PM

Yes Frank
I remember the red Girling fluid, sadly no longer available. All the fluids I have checked on the Internet are clear and variations of yellow/amber/gold. The only exception is DOT 5 fluid which is silly money compared with DOT 3, 4 or 5.1

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

Yes Frank
I remember the red Girling fluid, sadly no longer available. All the fluids I have checked on the Internet are clear and variations of yellow/amber/gold. The only exception is DOT 5 fluid which is silly money compared with DOT 3, 4 or 5.1
And DOT5 is silly brake fluid that the US forces are regretting specing it. And can't really get rid of it now due to cost.

#15 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

I don't know if my vehicles are all old pieces of sh*t, but I typically find that the old fluid is brown and opaque until the new comes out and it changes to clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users