9 replies to this topic

#1 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:30 PM

Hello - about time i introduced myself properly, and by way of introduction i thought i'd take a wander down my personal mini(ish) memory lane...(..hopefully i've got the image links set properly..)

First car was a '72 Mini 1000 Deluxe - 18th birthday present from my brother in law and we spent the summer putting it back on the road.  First mod. was to replace the cross-ply's with radials !! cornered much better after that..

tGAlIUt.jpg

YgmQvkX.jpg

..next up a real basket case of an 850 pickup in red-oxide primer - came as part-exchange it for my first car (in a lay-by up near whipsnade if i remember rightly) and used as a temporary run-about whilst i was doing my first solo rebuild

..also came with 12months MOT and lots of missing bodywork (not a good picture, but you can just about make out most of the bottom of the a-panel has been replaced with a hole)

0VwEWiK.jpg?1

..in the meantime, rebuilding a '77 Special Edition 1100

..at the beginning (..glass-fibre flip-front didn't make it past the mock-up stage..)

7o7SBw4.jpg

..looking smart in Dorchester grey with a white roof..

wgahbtp.jpg

the finished item - still a big fan of the de-bumpered look.  Fortunately (..for me..) my rebuild co-incided with ERA closing down, so i managed to get hold of a full interior, two brand new doors and a fully built front subframe when the contents of their Dunstable operations were disposed of

pGPqxlG.jpg

at some point i ditched the denovo's for 5x10 wellers and A008's, and invested in a set of hi-lo's to get it set just to my liking

5SN4zki.jpg?1

fast forward a few years and the urge for something new (..but familiar..) took hold, and the mini was replaced with a GTM Coupe

Rs2VmuA.jpg
uaYIxKC.jpg

..frightening how low down you were in that car, and it had an alarming tendency to lose the back end in the wet (didn't help having 225/45xR13's), but was huge fun

After buying a house, getting married and the arrival of kids, the Coupe's days were numbered - something a little more practical was required, so 2002 saw the departure of the yellow peril and the arrival of a (..fairly recently restored..) '81 Austin Morris 95L

wUSn1eN.jpg

Other than dropping in the engine from my wifes Metro GTA (..i did ask first..) i didn't really do much to it, and used it as it was intended - a general utility vehicle; dump runs, endless trips to DIY stores etc 'til 2008 when it failed its MOT with a rotten passenger sill.  patched it up and ran it for another year and then retired it from active duty with the intention of a full restoration when i had the time and money to do it properly.

that time is now, so i'm looking forward to starting up a new project thread and getting a bit more active in the forum (..as a giver and a taker !) in the coming months

Pat

#2 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

Hi and welcome. Nice history, looking forward to Pup resto, there's a couple going on just now so you can see what you're letting yourself in for ;D

Edited by panky, 06 January 2018 - 08:45 PM.

#3 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

Thanks Panky - i'm telling myself that mine isn't going to be as challenging as some of the current restores.  a quick rubdown and respray should do it

you've gotta have some hope in your life !

#4 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

Nice history. So, its the pickup you have that youre going to restore? Any recent pictures? Looks nice in the green. :)

#5 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:54 AM

yep - full restore.  as with most of the other pickup restore threads i'm working on the assumption that the only panels that won't be replaced are the b-pillars and roof...

unfortunately not as much progress as i'd like - strip down started last year and then got put on the back burner due to work/domestic commitments.  now need to have a good clear out so i can strip out the front&rear subbies before sending it for a media blast.  think i'll be investing in a man size box of tissues for when it comes back...

uutnEHf.jpg

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,753 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

I have tried several times to introduce myself with a newbie post, but no matter how I click, nothing happens. I don't think the forum likes me, because it somehow knows that I'm an oldie?

#7 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:58 PM

I have tried several times to introduce myself with a newbie post, but no matter how I click, nothing happens. I don't think the forum likes me, because it somehow knows that I'm an oldie?

hi  - welcome to the forum

whether you be newbie, middlie or oldie I don't think you'll find anyone really cares as long as it's mini !

i can't offer much in the way of advice as to why you can't seem to start a new topic can (obviously) post to an existing one - i just hit the 'start new topic' button at the bottom of the 'Introduce yourself' page and went from there (don't forget to 'post' when you're done)

good luck

#8 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:48 PM

Try it again and we'll see what happens

#9 Tige

Tige

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

Hi All !

The name is Gilles,

31, Male, Belgian and since last sunday the proud owner of a '97 mini. Unlike a lot of you guys this one is my First. 

My dad used to own one when i was little but i cant even recall taking a ride in it.

That will be it for now , i guess...

#10 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:26 PM

Just seen this Pat.

Nice Mini History and great to see the PUP before it was stripped!

Cheers

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users