14 replies to this topic

#1 Shaggy33

Shaggy33

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:34 PM

Currently running mk5 on 12x6 Mambas with black painted arches. Never really been happy with that look also had to cut front section of wings for wheels to not rub on full lock (also got steer rack limiter fitted)
Taken arches off and getting body shop to put it back to archless witj simple chrome edge trim.
Question is do I convert to 7inch discs and fit the 10inch wheels I want (replica Dunlops)or are there any 10inch that fit with my 8.5 inch disks that dont need spacers!

#2 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

Convert to 7.5" disks, don't go for 7" Cooper items they are sub par in comparison to the 7.5" Cooper S brakes. 

The only 10" wheels that fit over 8.4" brakes have a big offset and need wide arches so won't work for your plans. 

#3 Haygate

Haygate

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

7.5 and 10s

#4 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

Convert to 7.5" disks, don't go for 7" Cooper items they are sub par in comparison to the 7.5" Cooper S brakes. 
The only 10" wheels that fit over 8.4" brakes have a big offset and need wide arches so won't work for your plans.

I did exactly this when I went archless.

#5 Shaggy33

Shaggy33

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

Ok guys, that’s me sorted...cheers! More money than I planned to spend but what’s new...!

#6 Shaggy33

Shaggy33

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

This Set?
https://www.minispor...-10-wheels.html

#7 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:10 PM

http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

Cheaper, plus if you become a TMF plus member you get further discounts from minispares, Win, win all round!

#8 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

Also, this may be happening again...

http://www.theminifo...h-prices/page-9

#9 Haygate

Haygate

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:00 AM

Who would of thought it, when I first started out on minis it was all about 13s, I got back into minis last year after a 15 years off and bought a set of 12s but wider and different colour the day I picked it up, only wish I had of waited a few days as I can see this summer a set of new discs and 10s being fitted :)

Edited by Haygate, 09 January 2018 - 12:01 AM.

#10 Haygate

Haygate

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:02 AM

Oh and I quite like clubmans now but hated them back in the 90s :)

#11 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

bear in mind that there's a limited amount of wheels that work with no arches, I'm not sure about the dunlops you mention

#12 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

I've also just done this 7.5" conversion on an MPI mini with 10" MWS Replica Cooper S Minilights. All looks good except I have to remove rear spacer drum and reduce stud lengths to bring the rear wheels inboard slightly.

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

The widest wheels I have seen/used without arch extensions are 5" and they were right on the limit.

A 4.5" as-original 10" or 12" Minilite option is fine without extensions and quite wide enough for a 165 section tyre. There is nothing to be gained by going to 6" wide wheels with a 165 section tyre.

By the way, all Minis have wheel arches. What we are talking about here are wheel arch extensions. The wheel arches are a part of the wings.

Many people feel the Mini is better without arch extensions. 

#14 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

The widest wheels I have seen/used without arch extensions are 5" and they were right on the limit.

A 4.5" as-original 10" or 12" Minilite option is fine without extensions and quite wide enough for a 165 section tyre. There is nothing to be gained by going to 6" wide wheels with a 165 section tyre.

By the way, all Minis have wheel arches. What we are talking about here are wheel arch extensions. The wheel arches are a part of the wings.

Many people feel the Mini is better without arch extensions. 

Would second this, my 10x5"  "100+ wheels" will fit without arches but only just, will be running a little negative camber to ensure the local plod wont pull me up on anything. 

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:31 PM

On my 1964 'S' I have 2 sets of wheels, one set are 4.5 x 10 'ST'-type Minilites and the other are 5" x 10" BWA alloys.

Both types fit under the wheel arches without the need for extensions and I have never had any issues with scrutineers or the Old Bill. That is with 165/70 x 10 tyres and sometimes with reinforced sidewall 'knobbly' forest tyres.

The big advantages of not using arch extensions are the reduction of rust traps at the fixing holes and the narrower car, it being easy to knock the extensions off on rallies.

A personal view is that the car looks 'cleaner' and, of course, the aerodynamic drag is reduced - not that that is important to most people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users