#1 Dan6061

Dan6061

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Local Club: -

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

Hi guys, not been on here in about 10 years when I had my Mini Sidewalk!

Ive found a Rhodesian built Morris Mini Traveller. I believe it's around a 1965. Runs and drives.
It has external hinges, mirrors on the wings, sliding windows, Speedo etc in the centre of the dash.

It has a badge in the engine bay that says 'body number 9**' so I guess it's a relatively early model?

I'll be getting it to do some light restoration work and register it in the UK.
Would anyone know any information on it and could give me a rough figure on its value?

Thanks!

#2 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

Austin Motor Co.(PVT.) Ltd started assembling CKD BMC cars at Umtali (now Mutare) in 1958 (or Sept 1960 according to other sources).

The mokes were numbered so presumably so were the other Minis.... therefore number 9 would have been one of the first batch of Mini Travellers so i'd imagine the build date is earlier than you thought. (poss as early as April 1961 as export cars for overseas assembly didn't always have the wood exterior trim that the UK models had untill Oct 1962).

This is a good start for your research http://mk1-forum.net....php?f=5&t=6917

It's always interesting seeing the variations on the parts fitted to 'foreign' Minis so some pics would be nice.

#3 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

What paperwork is there to go with it?

Just a badge saying body number 9 isn't too helpful, could have been the 9th one built there, could have been the 9th one built in a specific year, could have just been slapped in by a previous owner for a laugh.

Get some pics up, everyone would be interested to see 

#4 Dan6061

Dan6061

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

It's not number 9 aha, I put the two * as I couldn't remember the exact number.
It's 962

I'll upload the pictures I have if I can figure out how to do it on my phone!

Thanks for the help so far

#5 Dan6061

Dan6061

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

35ktr8p.jpg
Here's the badge in the engine bay

nyzm6d.jpg

oga269.jpg

jqrtrk.jpg

These are probably the best pictures I have at the moment. The car is currently still in South Africa waiting to be shipped over.

#6 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

I don't know whether it was different in SA but the early travellers in the UK had internal petrol tanks and the filler neck was in a different place.  This one is the same as all the estates and vans until the end of production.

It would be worth checking when they changed from internal to external tanks because it won't be any earlier than this but with the smooth roof it has to be pre 1966 (if it was the same as the UK).

#7 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

Neither of my MK2 Irish built CKD Travellers came with wood on them. It was an expensive optional extra that very few people ordered.

The clutch housing looks like an early one and the carb has a brass cap.

Love the left hand engine steady  :proud:

#8 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

Just found this.... https://www.classicc...Makes/Mini.html

Note the 1965 Mini 850 with the number 1086. A Moke with the body number 1 still exists & was built in Oct '65, as Minis were assembled at Umtali long before that it looks like the body numbers are sequential for each type built (?).

It's probably worth joining the Mk1 forum & asking for info on there.

#9 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:06 PM

I don't know whether it was different in SA but the early travellers in the UK had internal petrol tanks and the filler neck was in a different place.  This one is the same as all the estates and vans until the end of production.

It would be worth checking when they changed from internal to external tanks because it won't be any earlier than this but with the smooth roof it has to be pre 1966 (if it was the same as the UK).

Fuel tank was moved below the floor in Oct '61 & the ribbed roof didn't come in till Dec '65.

All exports to Rhodesia were stopped in Nov 1965 following Rhodesian Unilateral Declaration of Independence so although Minis were still assembled from their existing stock of kits till late'66/early '67 they wouldn't have received any ribbed roof versions.

#10 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

Can't help - but absolutely love that....was brought up in Southern Africa and well used to seeing the "local" fixes to keep cars running stabiliser bars good but the HT  leads nothing short of brilliant...... or lethal....

Particulalrly like the DIY paintjob.... so er "african" they sprayed the rear lights too :-)

If I had that 'd just be tempted to do a mechanical resto, and minimum external fixes to pass mot (wiper motor & mechanism for example) and run with it!!

#11 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

Loving the window tints as well!

What a great find, enjoy!

#12 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

Nice find! I'd be keen to take a trip across the border and see what's hiding in Zimbabwe. Maybe there are a few more CKD Minis over there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users