12 replies to this topic

#1 ScottG

ScottG

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

Hi, I have been looking for driveshafts for a 1275cc 1981 Austin mini. I am looking to get some pretty close to home so anywhere in or around Ayrshire, Scotland. looking for any ideas of where I could get them or even if anyone has some spares they are willing to sell it would be much appreciated.

#2 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

I have some but in Manchester, can post for about £8

PM me if interested

#3 Pooler70

Pooler70

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

Always lots on ebay with postage

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

It all depends on what you actually need. The drive shafts or the complete drive shaft Assy including the inner and outer CVs.

Don't think there were any 1275cc Minis built in 81 they were all small bore engines. So it depends what was put into the car.

#5 MiniJosh92

MiniJosh92

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

I have them available and can send. Message me if interested.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

A '81 registered 1275GT? unlikely, but possible.

It's not really the engine that matters assuming the inners are pot joints, it's whether discs or drums for the outer CV's. The shafts themselves are interchangeable but different thicknesses.

#7 ScottG

ScottG

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:22 AM

It's not really the engine that matters assuming the inners are pot joints, it's whether discs or drums for the outer CV's. The shafts themselves are interchangeable but different thickness

The bigger engine was put in while being restored, its drums not discs.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

It's not really the engine that matters assuming the inners are pot joints, it's whether discs or drums for the outer CV's. The shafts themselves are interchangeable but different thickness

drums or discs makes no difference. it is the other end that has the different fitting.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

Not sure I follow you Nick,

The outer CV's are different for drums and discs (except, rare, 7 inch non "S" Coopers). The bearings sit on the drum drive flanges, disc CV's are thicker and carry the bearings directly. The splines locating actual drive shafts in the CV's are the same, even though disc shafts are thicker they can be swapped with the thinner drum shafts. Of course, that depends on them having the same type of inner joint.

In short, Scott doesn't necessarily need the thicker drive shafts that were standard on disc braked cars. He does need outer CV's to match his brakes.

#10 dodgy weedgie

dodgy weedgie

Starting My Mini Up

• Traders
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local Club: ESMOC

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

If you require parts closer to home get in touch. Just outside glasgow. Keith 07849 081713

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

Not sure I follow you Nick,

The outer CV's are different for drums and discs (except, rare, 7 inch non "S" Coopers). The bearings sit on the drum drive flanges, disc CV's are thicker and carry the bearings directly. The splines locating actual drive shafts in the CV's are the same, even though disc shafts are thicker they can be swapped with the thinner drum shafts. Of course, that depends on them having the same type of inner joint.

In short, Scott doesn't necessarily need the thicker drive shafts that were standard on disc braked cars. He does need outer CV's to match his brakes.

7" CVs are the same as drum ones. but Drum drive shafts are the same as Disc drive shafts of the same inner CV type. (yes there are one ore two very odd very early ones and some had 1/2" difference in length but were still interchangeable).

outer splines are the same. inner splines are either the same as the outer or "square" shaped for the hardy spicer or cruciform type.

#12 ScottG

ScottG

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

drums or discs makes no difference. it is the other end that has the different fitting.

Ok thank you :)

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:58 AM

as they say a picture. here are some Old drive shafts which fit the X type and the hardy spicer inner couplings. the outer end will fit either CV (drum or Disc) like wise the later ones have the same outer splines to suit drum or disc. and there own for the pot joints.

rpOOKvV.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users