#16 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

also note that as the holes for the diff bearings are machined into the two parts of the casing as a matched pair you may need to have some work done on the casing to make things work.

I would drop John at Guessworks a line about providing you with a suitably rebuilt box. ie magic wand with pot joints.

#17 docka

docka

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

Ok thanks, so I have a spare rod change 'box from an '81 van which has pot joints on it. 

So I should be able to remove the outputs and covers and fit them to the 22G1128 'box? 

All you'll need to swap is the Output Shafts. If the Bushes in the Covers are OK, then no need to swap. The bushes are the same size.

Be an idea to overhaul the diff while you're in there.

Cheers. Was thinking of fitting the stronger diff pin, owt else while I'm there?

#18 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

Ok thanks, so I have a spare rod change 'box from an '81 van which has pot joints on it. 

So I should be able to remove the outputs and covers and fit them to the 22G1128 'box? 

All you'll need to swap is the Output Shafts. If the Bushes in the Covers are OK, then no need to swap. The bushes are the same size.

Cheers. Was thinking of fitting the stronger diff pin, owt else while I'm there?

Check the planet gears and also replace all the thrusts. If you can find some early thrusts for the outputs, they are the ones to use. They were Bronze and unlike the later Fibre types, these don't break up. Could be hard to find though.

#19 docka

docka

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

cheers 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users