#1 zero_wlv

zero_wlv

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

Hi all,

I apologise for bringing up a subject that there has already been many threads about over the years,  but I've read all of them and out of the two common methods of draining I still can't see how I'll be able to reach the bottom hose to re-attach it securely   (I can see that removal won't be a problem with a long screwdriver).    

(by the way.  this is a 1988 side radiator engine)

I've just tried to reach the bottom connection from above and I can't reach it,   and it really doesn't look as though it will be straightforward to reach from underneath with axle stands.

I'm just wondering if the following alternative is reasonable:

1.  leave bottom connection in place but undo the two top connections  (heater connection and water pump connection)

2.  keep the top of the hose at high level and stick a siphon tube down it

3.  use siphon pump to empty coolant into a bucket

4.  flush rad with water     (admittedly this bit may be less effective than usual)

5.  fill with new coolant

6.  re-connect the two top connections

Is there any reason no-one else does it like this?   (I have a habit of coming up with 'bright' ideas and then realising what the downside is halfway through)

Could any spilt coolant damage any rubber or paint in the engine bay?

----

EDIT:  Or maybe I could simplify matters even further by leaving the water pump connected and just undoing the heater connection?

Edited by zero_wlv, 12 January 2018 - 07:38 PM.

#2 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

You can reach the bottom hose, easiest from under the car, but possible (and dryer) from above. 

Issue can be that who ever tightened the jubilee clip before you may not have been considerate enough to position it to make it easier to remove. 

Easier to use a 7mm (normallly) socket on a long extension to remove the jubilee. 

#3 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:29 PM

Again others may do things differently but for me the easiest way has been to remove alternator, take of fan blade, disconnect radiator top hose, radiator bottom hose from water pump and heater take off, remove top radiator bracket and bottom radiator bolt and then ease radiator out with bottom hose attached. Clean and back flush radiator and after draining cooling system refit radiator with bottom hose in place. At the time you have the radiator out check position of bottom jubilee clip and position it in s position that in future you can get to it either from the top or bottom. So may think my method is too much work but I can effectively back flush the rad, give the inner wing and side of engine a good clean and be sure the bottom hose is correctly positioned and tight.

Edited by RedRuby, 12 January 2018 - 10:30 PM.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

I remove the bottom hose from the water pump end then extract the radiator and hose complete.

When refilling I fill the heater matrix pipes with coolant(join pipes back up) then fill the radiator with 50/50 antifreeze and water

Edited by cal844, 12 January 2018 - 11:03 PM.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

Did not the UK Cars come with a drain plug on the lower radiator tank?

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

Did not the UK Cars come with a drain plug on the lower radiator tank?

Only on 1990 onwards cars I believe

#7 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

Again others may do things differently but for me the easiest way has been to remove alternator, take of fan blade, disconnect radiator top hose, radiator bottom hose from water pump and heater take off, remove top radiator bracket and bottom radiator bolt and then ease radiator out with bottom hose attached.

+1

Sounds a bit of a faff but it isn't. Prepare for knuckle shredding with any other method.

#8 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

Take the top hose off and roll Mini on it's roof ... you can do oil and fuel tank at same time ... ;-)

I'll get my coat ..........

#9 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

I use a set of these to loosen and tighten the jubilee type clip on the bottom of the radiator.

http://www.spear-and...nutspinners-set

Either a 7mm or 8mm bit with the extension and you can loosen or tighten without having your hand adjacent to anything that will skin your knuckles.

Mind you, you still need to reach in to remove or replace the hose on the stub on the radiator.

Edited by MikeRotherham, 14 January 2018 - 09:40 AM.

#10 Ron62

Ron62

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:16 AM

Remove the rad housing with the bolt at the underside. Than you can lift the rad after removing the top hose.

#11 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:23 PM

Any advice on which is the best antifreeze to use?
I drained the coolant on my Elf in November as I was not sure if there was any AF in the car, pretty certain it was just (rusty) water. I intend to flush the system before filling with Antifreeze.
I also intend to drill & tap the bottom tank to fit a drain plug.

#12 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:05 PM

I remove the bottom hose from the water pump end then extract the radiator and hose complete.

When refilling I fill the heater matrix pipes with coolant(join pipes back up) then fill the radiator with 50/50 antifreeze and water

+1 

2 nuts, one bolt and two clips, and you don't need to disturb the fan belt/alternator or take off the fan (which does sound a bit of a faff to me)

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:52 AM

not enough material to do that.

depends on the rad material.

#14 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

+1 

2 nuts, one bolt and two clips, and you don't need to disturb the fan belt/alternator or take off the fan (which does sound a bit of a faff to me)

It is indeed a faf, the OP just needs to take care when lifting the rad around the fan

#15 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

not enough material to do that.

depends on the rad material.

Nick it is a plastic rad, I intend to bond on another piece of plastic to thicken the wall where I intend to drill & tap the bottom tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users