#1 Maxcooper13

Maxcooper13

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

Hello everybody!

As soon as installed a twin set hs4 on my innocenti minicooper 1300 year 1972.

It has a 1293cc, mini sport cam ca2, csi electronic distributor, lightened flywheel, 3-2-1 lcb maniflow and 44mm direct exhaust line except for last silencer.

Finally with twin hs4 instead of twin hs2 seem to express his potential.

I have connected oil vapour manifold as before from timing canister and housing canister but if I drive over 4500/5000rpm she spit oil from oil cap on engine rocker cover.
It's not the original, is an upgrade chome with vented cap instead of non vented I had as original.

I closed the hole where oil spitting come but pressure make leak the rocker cover gasket and also other oil gasket as clutch seal.

Please help me in understand how to re adjust oil vapour pressure on hjigh revs.
There is no oil pressure in the sump... Lifting oil stick no oil and no vapour.
Thanks, regards
Max

#2 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

Max we may be losing something in translation...

"oil vapour manifold as before from timing canister and housing canister"

Not quite sure what you mean?

Have you some photos?

Just as a general a tuned Mini likes to be vented to air

#3 Maxcooper13

Maxcooper13

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

Thank for your answer.

I mean the system of manifold that collect oil vapour into carbs on negative crank car ventilation system.
One from canister above flywheel housing, the other from canister on timing chain cover.
Sorry but I wrote alittle bit in a hurry.

By the way you answered me to let oil vapour vent in the air... But my car is road not race and for ecology and oil smelling I would avoid to let all open.

Any alternatives?
Thanks again
Max

Edited by Maxcooper13, 14 January 2018 - 10:54 PM.

#4 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:07 AM

Officially its called positive crankcase ventilation, PCV as per the cars with twin HS2. The PCV sits on the manifold, some call it the clacker valve....usually has a flat top with a clip and says Smiths etc.

I would suggest a closed circuit type for yours if you are concerned about the emissions to air.

Plug the manifold with a 5/8th UNF plug.

Assuming you have a breather take-off on the side of each carb, pipe them together, 2 into 1 with a Y piece... 2 small hoses to 1/2in inside hose (A).

Bring the 2 hoses up from the flywheel vent (F) and timing cover vent (T) again into a Y or T so its one pipe, preferably 1/2in inside (B)

Then join A & B using 1/2in breather hose.

Can run with or without breather cap.

If you have no breather pipes on the HS4's you can put pipe B into the air filter (which may not be easy)

Pipes F and T could each be put into each air filter

Basically there are loads of ways...if not to air, the air filter or the vent on the carb bodies.

Personally I would vent to air, its arguable that burning the fumes at the low temp of combustion in an engine is more eco damaging than warm wet oily fumes which condense out and might cause a few drips. Just because its burnt and you can't see it doesn't mean its good.

Its like the myth that catalytic converters (and nuclear power)[and disposing of hazardous waste via cement kilns] cause less pollution, if everything is considered (which it never is) they don't, its just that most of the particles are too small to see, PM10's and smaller. They go into your lungs and straight into your blood, and you can't stop that.

I would sooner see a small oily patch than breath it in, as an oil patch will biodegrade. 

When I was a kid no-one had asthma.

Sorry but pollution and emmissions is one of my pet subjects.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:19 AM

Ideally, I think we need to see a photo of how you have plumbed up your breathers to the Carbs / Manifold if you are able to post one up.

#6 Maxcooper13

Maxcooper13

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:02 AM

Thanks retroman and moke spider for your answer: what I miss is PCV: italian innocenti mini cooper didn't have it.
Connecting of manifold at the moment is as you describe If I read correctly.

I understand also your pollution issues effective and not... But fumes and smelling in engine bay and cari f open venting?

Follows pictures

Thanks

Attached Files

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,899 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

Cheers for the photos Max.

OK, that's actually not a PCV set up but a CCV (Close Crankcase Ventilation) set up, which IMO, is better than the PCV set up.

So, you feel you are not getting blow-by but yet it's venting a little via the rocker cover cap.

The caps on those particular Rocker Covers are rather awful I have to say. They don't seal on the rocker cover and there is no filter or baffle in the cap, in fact, if you remove the cap and hold it up to the light, you should be able to see straight through it and I'm sure this will be your problem.

I don't have a nice looking solution, however a vented (and filtered) stock cap fits from memory

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

As the cap that you have is not filtered, I feel they are bad news.

#8 Maxcooper13

Maxcooper13

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

Ok thanks moke spider.

Suspecting something like you are saying me... This morning I carried my old and original rocker cover to have it sand nlasted and coated in order to use standard cap... i will try the filtered and vented you suggest instead of my old non vented.

Chrome rocker cover with his cap soon on ebay
Thanks again
Max

#9 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

Photo helps....Looks like you have sorted the venting to carb bodies anyway and I assume the pipe from the manifold goes to a servo.

As Moke Spyder says the caps are not good

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,899 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

No worries Max.

Chrome rocker cover with his cap soon on ebay
Thanks again
Max

I gotta say, I don't like chrome rocker covers as the chrome finish is so smooth they never really seem to seal properly against the cork gasket.

If you are after a bit of 'bling' here, IMO, these are nice

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

and don't leak.

#11 Maxcooper13

Maxcooper13

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:05 AM

Thanks again to both of you Gentlemen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic