35 replies to this topic

#1 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

I'm in the process of rewiring the whole car.  Its a mark 4 and It came with the loom in place but nothing connected.  I'm moving the gauges to the older central location.  A few questions?

1.  Are there two flasher units one for the indicators?

2,  On line there are loads of flashers available.  The wiring diagram shows two poles but a lot of them seem to have three??  am I confusing the relay with the flasher unit?  Do I need both?

3.  How is the central binnacle fixed to the bulkhead?  Looks like a few screws but does it have something under it that sandwiches between the unit and the bulkhead?

Thanks for the help.

tonylamb

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:41 PM

1. Yes, one for the hazards and one for the indicators

2. Hazard flasher relay --> http://www.minispare...|Back to search

indicator --> http://www.minispare...07.aspx|Back to

3. There's 6 holes in the binnacle, but only 4 are needed if you still keep the bulkhead blanking plate (which will need a hole drilling in for the speedo cable) The top 2 holes can be fixed with the bulkhead blanking plate and the bottom 2 can be drilled and rivets used. There was only 6 originally as it was used to seal the cabin from the engine bay.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

Fit more modern 3 pin relays, all you need is an earth

#4 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

thanks guys for the helpful and swift response. On the binnacle do you think its best to put something between the bulkhead and the plastic surround like some sound deadening or such to seal the engine bay from the interior.

#5 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

thanks guys for the helpful and swift response. On the binnacle do you think its best to put something between the bulkhead and the plastic surround like some sound deadening or such to seal the engine bay from the interior.

You should have one of these which will separate the engine and interior, just needs a hole drilling in  it. 

4cde95a47adc4edc01c21fbe271ee509e0291b4a

#6 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:50 AM

Aha, nope don't think I've got that bit. I'll check in all the boxes that came with the car. Thanks

#7 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

So I've spent a few hours connecting wires etc where the previous owner left off. The 4 dash switches are impossible to get wrong. Connected the battery up tonight and something is definately wrong. The head lights come on when you pull the dip switch towards you and aren't turned off or on by the dash switch at all. The side lights don't seem to work at all and nor do the indicators.

The previous owner was a mechanic and a stickler for things being done right. So I can only assume that its something I've done. The column controls where in a box so perhaps they are damaged. I'm a bit stumped. I need to check the fuse box I'm wondering if something there is crossed. I've attached a picture of the fuse box in case someone in the know can see if I've got it wrong?

#8 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:26 PM

Sorry forgot the pictures of the fuse box. I think its right but would appreciate a check from an expert.

Attached Files

#9 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

Looks like it's wrong to me, have a look at this thread ---> http://www.theminifo...s-covered-data/

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

That fusebox is wired in reverse, use the above link to get the wiring correct

#11 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

Thanks to all Ive rewired the fuse box. It wasnt actually the problem because although it was wired upside down each side was correct. Although it now has the right fuses in each one. The problem with the indicators etc was the steering column switch which was broken somewhere. Anyway new switches from minispares and I now have, head lights, dip, side lights and indicators. The flash too fast so a new flash unit my be in order. Brake lights also work. So I now have the job of wiring up the centre binnacle for which I have plenty of pictures. Getting the rear left light unit in required taking the petrol tank out but that was easy enough.

One question. In the rear light wiring I have, indicators, side light and brake light. There is also reversing light, green and brown wire? But I also have another pair of wires green and purple and earth? What are they for I wonder?

#12 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

Green and purple is your fuel tank level to the gauge I think.  The earth is probably the fuel tank sender earth, but earths could be anything.

You should get a Haynes manual and a multimeter though, will be miles easier with those two essential tools!

#13 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

I think I've sussed it all out.  the extra wires are for the rear fog lights.  I found the extra switch lying around in the box of bits that came with the car.  I've got MKII lights on the car so only indicators, brakes and sides which means I need additional reversing light and fog lights.  But as its a MKIV loom its got all the right wires.  I'm going to put a classic lamp on the boot for reversing and a fog light under the rear bumper.

Fun time last night got all the lights and indicators working, although I still have no flash with the lights off??  screwed all the dash board back together and put all the switches in place.  I noticed the hazard switch was a bit rough so I changed it for a new one I found in the box.  everything back in place but no indicators and only the passenger indicators working on hazard?????  Spent an hour trying to trace the problem all the wires seem fine.  Suddenly thought to change the switch back to the original one and low and behold everything works again.  A brand new out of the box hazard switch that was faulty.  What a pain?  so start again tonight.  I want to get the column switches and dash working before I wire up the central speedo bits I've purchased.

I'm still not sure why the flash doesn't work??  The lights work on the dash switch and with the beams on the low and high works.  But with the lights off the column mounted switch should flash the lights I assume?  it doesn't which is a bit of a mystery.  Any thoughts on that appreciated.

#14 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:11 PM

If the mini was built before 1 April 1980 you do not need a fog light, IF required must be on offside or centre of vehicle

Reverse lights don't come into MOT

As for the hazard issues change the switch and relays(yes there are two relays one behind dash is for indicators) the 3 pin relays will work, they just need an earth.

As for the lighting issue the continuous high beam(push stalk towards dash pod, it should click and stay on continuosly (you will need the light switch in dipped beam(fully on).you should now see the blue tell tale and high beams on.
Then pull the stalk towards the steering column (flash function) if there's no power here, you now want to probe the blue/white wire at the plug under the dash(needs to be connected to main loom for power in and out of stalk)

Hope this is of some help

Edited by cal844, 14 February 2018 - 08:53 PM.

#15 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:38 PM

I don't mind having a fog light and reversing light and I've now sussed those wires out.

The confusing bit is the flash.  Is there supposed to be a relay for the headlights, I cant seem to find one?  The car is 1980 but I don't know which month and its had a more modern loom put in it.  With the light switch on moving the stalk back and forwards changes from dip to high beam, so the switch works.  But presumably with the lights switched off you should still be able to use the stalk to flash the headlights.  in other words with the lights switched off.  I've checked the column switch and it all seems to work fine.  Just no flash.  I don't know if this is a MOT failure???  But its certainly a useful feature that every car I've ever had has????

You would imagine if the switch works from low to high beam it works for flash.  everything seems to be wired correctly so its a bit odd.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users