Photo
- - - - -

Changed Rear Main Seal And Clutch, Gears Won’T Engage When Car Is Running?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 RHDmini74

RHDmini74

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:44 AM

So I changed the rear primary seal due to lots of leakage. I also changed the clutch, diaphram plate and release bearing. I adjusted the clutch arm so there is no play. I left the plunger nuts loose and the return spring off while I was trying to mess around with everything. I still cant grt anything to engage. I have some videos attached. Anything I should try? Thanks!
Video 1 https://youtu.be/iT_gn6HlTeE
Video 2 https://youtu.be/L94T62HX4Ag
Video 3 https://youtu.be/-uD_-QFDtzQ
Video 4 https://youtu.be/CtJHtBcDdkQ
Just copy and paste the link.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:29 AM

The Clutch does indeed appear to be disengaging, or at least there is well enough movement there for it.

All that comes to mind here is the Primary Gear is binding / locking on the Crank.

Handy that you have a big chip out of the Starter Hole. If you have an assistant depress the Clutch Pedal can you get something in there to try to spin the Clutch Plate or Primary Gear so as you may get a feel for it?

#3 RHDmini74

RHDmini74

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:33 AM

The Clutch does indeed appear to be disengaging, or at least there is well enough movement there for it.

All that comes to mind here is the Primary Gear is binding / locking on the Crank.

Handy that you have a big chip out of the Starter Hole. If you have an assistant depress the Clutch Pedal can you get something in there to try to spin the Clutch Plate or Primary Gear so as you may get a feel for it?

I noticed that haha. A flathead fits perfectly in there. Should the primary gear be able to spin without engaging the clutch also? I tried spinning the gear without depressing the clutch but it wouldn't move

#4 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

it was working before you took it apart? i only ask as at some point someone has beat the crap out of the flywheel to remove it due to damage on the flywheel and the chunk of alloy thats missing. Is the flywheel straight etc. also it may be camera angle but in video 3 it looks like the flywheel ring gear(teeth) as very close to the cover.(22 seconds into video)

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

I noticed that haha. A flathead fits perfectly in there. Should the primary gear be able to spin without engaging the clutch also? I tried spinning the gear without depressing the clutch but it wouldn't move

With the clutch engaged, you'd be trying to turn over the engine with the Primary Gear, so in all reality, no.

#6 RHDmini74

RHDmini74

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

it was working before you took it apart? i only ask as at some point someone has beat the crap out of the flywheel to remove it due to damage on the flywheel and the chunk of alloy thats missing. Is the flywheel straight etc. also it may be camera angle but in video 3 it looks like the flywheel ring gear(teeth) as very close to the cover.(22 seconds into video)

Yea that chunk was missing from long before i owned the car. The clutch was working before took it apart. My rear primary seal was leaking a lot of oil and the clutch was slipping so i changed the seal and the clutch and diaphragm spring at the same time.

#7 RHDmini74

RHDmini74

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

With the clutch engaged, you'd be trying to turn over the engine with the Primary Gear, so in all reality, no.

Ill check in the morning. Thanks

#8 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:54 AM

I tend to agree with moke on this one.

Will it start in gear with the clutch pedal pressed?

Does the primary gear spin when in gear with clutch pressed down?

#9 RHDmini74

RHDmini74

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:02 AM

Ill also check both in the morning. Thanks!

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

Note - the clutch is ENGAGED when your foot is OFF the pedal. And disengaged when the pedal is pushed down.

#11 RHDmini74

RHDmini74

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

So the primary gear won’t spin when th clutch pedal is pressed down. I tried to spin the clutch and I got it to move a few millimeters but that’s it

#12 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

Did you get the beveled primary gear washer the right way round? Sounds to me that the gear is binding somewhere?

#13 RHDmini74

RHDmini74

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:33 PM

[quote name="minimans" post="3515482" timestamp="1516217261"]Did you get the beveled primary gear washer the right way round? Sounds to me that the gear is binding somewhere?[/quotes
Yea the washer can only sit flat one way before the C shaped other half goes on. I’m thinking maybe the back of the flywheel is hitting the washer and putting pressure on the gear? I may have too machine the back of the flywheel so it doesn’t interfere. It might go to far up the taper

#14 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:13 PM

I think Minimans means the bronze thrust washer between the front (gear end) of the primary and the step in the crank

If it all worked before, and all you've changed is the seal and the clutch, then it's is incredibly unlikely that the flywheel is now sitting further up the taper and pushing on the c clip.

#15 RHDmini74

RHDmini74

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:27 PM

I think Minimans means the bronze thrust washer between the front (gear end) of the primary and the step in the crank
If it all worked before, and all you've changed is the seal and the clutch, then it's is incredibly unlikely that the flywheel is now sitting further up the taper and pushing on the c clip.

I don’t think I touched that bronze washer. All I did was remove the retaining C clip along with the other part of that washer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users