3 replies to this topic

#1 cabrio1275

cabrio1275

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

Hi, I have a Mini with a 998 A plus engine with a Morspeed 12G295 head, twin 1.25" SU's and a Maniflow exhaust manifold and system. I bought the carbs which are on a 12G309 inlet manifold which was being used on a 1275cc engine. The engine runs pretty well but the filters are filthy & haven't been changed in about 30,000 miles. The question is regarding the air filters which have no makers mark on them, are pancake filters and are approx. 2" thick. The filter "element" cannot be just replaced  as it is held between the front and rear metal plates which do not appear as they can be split. Are there any decent pancake filters that I can fit in place of these? I read somewhere that it's best to have at least 2" thick pancake filters because of the surface area that's needed for decent breathing? Also some are described as offset & I am unsure what this relates to. Sorry to be a bit long winded!!

#2 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

I my opinion the only pancake style filters worth fitting are K&Ns with stub stacks in them. Not cheap but last forever as you can clean and re-oil them when they get dirty. they filter and flow very well.

#3 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

With a bit of Heat most of those elements can be replaced. Fit paper OR k&n elements inside afterwards

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:03 PM

A proper KnN filter is expensive but they can be cleaned and oiled. Offset means the carb mount and mouth holes are on one side instead of in the centre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users