16 replies to this topic

#1 Doom64

Doom64

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:59 PM

Hello, I really want an old mini for my first car as I am a decorator I will need a bit more room.
I can put a roof rack on top and put the ladder on there.
Just don't know what I can fit in the back.
Has anyone got any pics of the standard front seats with the rear seats removed so I can see how much room there is, can't really find any decent pics on Google.
If there isn't much room I could take the front passenger and rear seats out and put the front back in when I need it.
Or should I be sad and get a different car. :(

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

You really need a Minivan, Traveller, Countryman or Clubman Estate.....

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,937 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

don't bother it will cost you too much and will not be reliable for your work. gat a cheap **** eurobox for work.

#4 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

Buy a cheap caddy or vauxhall combo

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

Also Minis have very little security and often get stolen when parked up amongst modern cars......not ideal for an everyday working vehicle!

#6 ckneller321

ckneller321

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

And the back of the rear seat in a saloon mini is a metal panel welded into place. So all you could do is remove the actual seats (as in the cushions) which wouldn't give you much extra space than already exists.

#7 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

Very bad idea for a work car.

You fancy ringing up customers saying you're broken down and can't make it today??

Will very quickly find business is quiet.

#8 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

You can fit a twin turntable disco set-up, a pair of 200w speaker cabs, various disco lights, mic stands  and all the boxes for 7" singles in the back where the seats would be.  Ah, the heady days of the scouts & guide disco, me and my mate used to run around with the old mk1 chock full :-) 

Like has been said, I'm not sure how suitable one would be for a decorating business, it would be novel though.

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

No classic car is ideal for daily use, especially not as a work vehicle.
Best to but a cheap modern hatchback or small van for work and then save for a classic car for weekend fun.

#10 Doom64

Doom64

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:49 PM

Hello, thanks for all the replies, not the news I wanted to hear but very helpful. :)
I will probably get a vauxhall combo or something like that instead.
Minis are just too nice though. :)

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:01 AM

Hello, thanks for all the replies, not the news I wanted to hear but very helpful. :)

They are 'nice' as 60-year-old designed iconic classic cars with old car 'retro' driving feel and reliability.

A lot of regular attention is needed and that is why they are best kept for weekend fun, classic car shows and runs.

For work you will probably need to be able to turn up on time, every time, do a days work and drive home again. Only a modern car will give you this.

#12 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:44 AM

They are 'nice' as 60-year-old designed iconic classic cars with old car 'retro' driving feel and reliability.

A lot of regular attention is needed and that is why they are best kept for weekend fun, classic car shows and runs.

For work you will probably need to be able to turn up on time, every time, do a days work and drive home again. Only a modern car will give you this.

Not absolutely true Cooperman,  I've been going back and forth to work and everywhere in between for the last 4 years.  The mini does take a lot of attention though (much to herself's annoyance  :-))  I'll give you that.

#13 Albino_Hedgehog

Albino_Hedgehog

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Local Club: Solihull Mini Classic Club

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

Not absolutely true Cooperman,  I've been going back and forth to work and everywhere in between for the last 4 years.  The mini does take a lot of attention though (much to herself's annoyance  :-))  I'll give you that.

Same for me here!

Been very reliable as a daily for me, however you do have to keep on top of maintenance before it requires it!

I will admit that I don't do a job lumping ladders around though!

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

I think people are being a little harsh, Minis needn't be that unreliable, especially compared to used a van with similar potential running costs.

Still don't think it's a good idea though. The car's likely to take a bit of a battering, which isn't good if you're expecting it to hold its value, like a classic should. If it does require major work, you probably won't want to just let it go and get a replacement, that's how you're more likely to be stuck getting to jobs . It'll also cost you a lot more than a true bangernomics strategy.

If you're absolutely intent on doing it, removing the front seat and knocking up a storage bin to replace it could be a good way. No more work than stripping the back out. 

#15 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

If you were absolutely determined you could make the car reliable enough if you put some work into it.  Check every wire and connector and if there's loads of stuff spliced into the loom, replace it, so you know all the connections are good.  Check all your earths, possibly swap the earths so they're wired directly to the battery rather than relying on the body.  Fit a Megajolt system to get rid of the distributor, points and coil.

If all the mechanics start off in tip-top order and you keep on top of maintenance then it should be fairly reliable.  But really what you need is to understand how everything on the car works to be able to spot where it might fail and fix it before it does.

That said, unless your daily drive is garage to garage or secure car park at worst, it's not worth the risk I don't think.  Also bear in mind that rush hour traffic is full of idiots half asleep, on their phones or eating cornflakes, and they won't be looking where your Mini is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users