99 replies to this topic

#31 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

Of course changing the ride height changes the instantaneous camber, but I think you're missing my point: the knuckle and cone has absolutely no effect on the camber for a given ride height regardless of its condition or complete absence. It's not part of what sets the steering geometry. It only controls the ride height in response to the balanced forces of gravity and road impact. The ride height in turn causes an orientation of the control arms which are solely responsible for the camber. Can we all agree on that?

#32 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

Of course changing the ride height changes the instantaneous camber, but I think you're missing my point: the knuckle and cone has absolutely no effect on the camber for a given ride height regardless of its condition or complete absence. It's not part of what sets the steering geometry. It only controls the ride height in response to the balanced forces of gravity and road impact. The ride height in turn causes an orientation of the control arms which are solely responsible for the camber. Can we all agree on that?

youre hurting my brain on a Friday  :shy:

#33 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

it have everything to do with it.

go read some books on suspension,

or just Vizards "How to modify your mini" you want DWGs etc and results. I can provide some I did on 2001 later after work.

like I said. go move a wheel on the car through its full travel and watch the camber change.

#34 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

please explain what that is? new term to me.

#35 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

#36 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

well, so you mean if the car sits low, the camber is offset and tire is rubbing you would not recomend to check the knuckles and cones? 

#37 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:00 PM

By instantaneous camber, I mean the camber at a given time. Of course the camber changes continuously as the wheel moves up and down relative to the body and changing the ride height will change the camber at rest; all auto front suspension operates like this, and sometimes the rear does as well (but not in a Mini). This changing of camber is solely determined by the control arms. You could change the knuckle out for a hex head bolt and the cone for an actual doughnut of the baked good variety, and the camber for a given ride height would be exactly the same as it would have been with the actual knuckle and cone installed.

#38 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:02 PM

well, so you mean if the car sits low, the camber is offset and tire is rubbing you would not recomend to check the knuckles and cones? 

No, if you reread my posts, you will see I never said anything of the sort. I said the knuckles and cones do not determine the camber for a given wheel position relative to the body and they can't possibly. 

#39 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

it have everything to do with it.

go read some books on suspension,

or just Vizards "How to modify your mini" you want DWGs etc and results. I can provide some I did on 2001 later after work.

like I said. go move a wheel on the car through its full travel and watch the camber change.

I'm understanding what he's saying, and I agree with him. I agree with you both! Lol

#40 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

It's registered as a mini Cooper so my guess is that the arches have been added. Personally I'd put it back to standard eventually.

Pete, as far as i'm aware they were all registered as 'Mini Cooper -2 door saloon' whichever option pack or accessories you chose.
I'm the second owner of a MPI with Sports Pack option & it's not even mentioned on any of the original documents or Bill of Sale.
http://www.roblightb...-documents.html

There are people with Sport on the v5 on this forum I think?

#41 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

Some mpi's where fitted with 12" wheel up until the end in 2000.1 3" started in 1997 as a upgradesome had 13" wheel fitted with arches ,steering rack, wings ,rear spacers , rear subframe , dampers ,space saver as well me thinks = sports packover the years the 12" versions have been changed to 13" with out doing a propa job .ya log book may help if it sez copper = 12"sports pack =13" but don't worries if it dose not as it depends what the person wrote down when the car was first registered varies quite a lot .just looked on mine reg doc for the mini and its called a rover mini sport but I know its a sportpack.take it a propa mini garage if ya want to know, not aa back street one .or a local good club ..my 10p worth

Here's one for a start "Rover Mini Sport".

#42 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:37 PM

It's registered as a mini Cooper so my guess is that the arches have been added. Personally I'd put it back to standard eventually.

Pete, as far as i'm aware they were all registered as 'Mini Cooper -2 door saloon' whichever option pack or accessories you chose.
I'm the second owner of a MPI with Sports Pack option & it's not even mentioned on any of the original documents or Bill of Sale.
http://www.roblightb...-documents.html

There are people with Sport on the v5 on this forum I think?

Yup, but they are the Mini Cooper Sport model built 1999 on (they were fitted with the Sports Pack as standard) & the OP car is a 1997. http://www.minipassi...ini final 3.pdf

If you bought a 1997/98 MPI & instead of the optional Sports Pack you chose the Wood Pack it wouldn't be registered as a Rover Mini Wood.

Edited by Itsaminithing, 19 January 2018 - 11:39 PM.

#43 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

Is ukcooper's a Sports pack or a Sport?

#44 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

jesus christ people... jusy look at your selves !!!! unbelivable. is this what TMF has turned into ???

look at the car... have you ever seen a standard sportspack mini fill its front arches that much ???

he says it has spacers... and hes talking about the front, not rear. spacers will increase the offset of the wheels and cause these exact syptoms.

simple answer... first thing first, remove the front spacers and go from there.

if the spacers are NOT on the front then again... clarify this first. get the facts and assess the problem not ramble on and on about suspenshion geometry and bloody irrelevant names on V5's

what the hell are you people talking about :dozing:

Edited by THE ANORAK, 20 January 2018 - 10:28 AM.

#45 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

Hmm irrelevant names on V5s when were trying to establish if it's started life as a genuine sports pack with the correct parts to stop this problem? Ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users