#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

Not read this yet but looks like it could be interesting......

"The Practical Classics Guide to the Cars of British Leyland takes you on the journey from Maxi to Metro via some of the most important British cars ever produced. The 100-page full-colour celebration focuses on a troubled decade and the fascinating stories behind the turmoil. There’s a wealth of historical and personal insight from the pages of Practical Classics, with a mix of articles on everything from how to buy a Marina or Allegro to an exclusive Harris Mann feature, where he unveils some never-before-seen drawings and describes his part in the Leyland story.
There are also servicing tips, restoration heroics and personal testimony from owners and experts alike. There’s also a foreword by Harris Mann, exclusive photography, adverts and epic workshop saga stories."
https://www.greatmag...prcespc/leyland

2EnkdOs.jpg

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

Page 30 of this special BL mag above features an interesting 5-page article recreating John Lennon's 1969 trip from Liverpool to the far north of Scotland in an Austin Maxi, when John, having already driven from the family home in Surrey to Liverpool in his Mini (with Yoko, son Julian and stepdaughter Kyoko on board), decided to swap to a larger Maxi which was an Apple Records staff car for the rest of the trip to Scotland. Driving a similar Austin Maxi today the article revisits the scenes of various old b&w photos from the time, with "then and now" photos including the crash site and also interviews locals who remember what happened, including the son of the Breakdown tow truck driver (10 years old at the time) who remembers going with his father in an ex-army Bedford to recover John Lennon's Maxi from the ditch near Tongue.

AROnline News (Aug 2013) : New images of the Lennons and their Maxi emerge:-

https://www.aronline...ir-maxi-emerge/

A slideshow of further images of the Lennons in their Maxi and a Vauxhall Victor on the Liverpool Echo’s website.

http://www.liverpool...lennons-5738922

Edited by mab01uk, 20 January 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#3 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Having owned 3 ADO16’s, 2 Allegros and 4 Mnis in my driving time, I’m sure this will be a very good read!

Thanks again, Steve.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

Hope you enjoy the read Steve, I know I will.......my copy arrived this morning in the post, I only ordered it a couple of days ago and it does look full of interesting info for BL fans with lots of great photos and even a few Minis featured too. :mrcool:

#5 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:36 AM

Many thanks, I can’t wait for it to arrive!

I ordered a copy yesterday through the link you posted above, I also had a look around and found a few copies going for over a tenner on EBay!!

Cheers, Steve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users