#1 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

Which is the correct brake pipe flare for a Mini?
Attached File  image.jpeg   39.81K   16 downloads
The left flare is SAE double ( inverted /45degree) flare, the right hand flare is a DIN/ ISO bubble flare.
I believe the SAE flare is the correct one for the Mini whilst the DIN/ISO flare is the newer flare.
These flares usually go with the male nut

Attached File  image.jpeg   42.58K   13 downloads
This is the SAE/double flare which usually goes with the female nut
I beleive all these nuts should be imperial UNF nuts

I need to make up a couple of pipes and I want to make sure I use the correct flare.

Edited by DUF2, 18 January 2018 - 10:26 PM.

#2 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:19 AM

Very easy : make a SAE one and screw it to one of your brake parts. Tighten it as fast as possible. Take it out and inspect how it looks like!

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:00 AM

the mini does not use one type through out.

and they don't even use the same standard over the whole car.

you can have all three flares show used on one Mini.

but the DIN/ISO is only used in one or two places the rest are either of the SAE flares depending on the application.

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

Interesting Nick - I would've said the DIN/ISO/Bubble/Male flare is used most on a Mini.

Later cars certainly used a mixture of metric and imperial nuts, especially on brake master cylinders.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

SAE flares on the Mini ISO in the metric standard.

what I do find strange is that everyone who publishes info on brakes lines etc in relation to the Mini-does not actually state the flare specs.
Minispares. mini mainia both originally written by Keith Calver I believe.

but the flare shape depends if the pipe is going into or onto a part. eg rear flexies the pipe goes onto them. MCs and 3 ways and calipers etc the pipe goes into them.

#6 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

The SAE double flare is a universal flare that works in all applications when using kunifer brake lines, the steel lines need specific flares as they are not malleable.

#7 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

I found problems when I had to replace the short pipe on the rear radio us arm. I bought a made up pipe, however it came with a SAE bubble flare on each end! The end with the female nut did not have the double flare.
I took this up with the seller who advised me he'd been making there like this for 20+ years, stating this was the way he had been instructed by an Austin mechanic all those years ago.
Having returned the pipe, I decide to buy my own flaring tool having seen them advertised on eBay. The kit I got came from the UK, but came with no instructions. I am trying to replicate the flare as shown on the left, a bubble flare, however when I used the former (in centre ) the flare came out as a "funnel" type flare. This is NOT what I want
Attached File  image.jpeg   67.19K   6 downloads
If you look at the former you can see how it flares out the end of the pipe so in my mind this former is incorrect.
I have contacted the seller, to ask for instructions in case I'm using it incorrectly, despite be listed in the UK on eBay the seller is Chinese and has been sending me links (in Chinese) which won't open on my PC. I shall be seeking a full refund.
The problem I have is the majority of these cheaper flaring tools all appear to be the same sort of thing so unless they have the correct former which makes a bubble flare the tool will be useless to Mini owners!!

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

I found problems when I had to replace the short pipe on the rear radio us arm. I bought a made up pipe, however it came with a SAE bubble flare on each end! The end with the female nut did not have the double flare.
I took this up with the seller who advised me he'd been making there like this for 20+ years, stating this was the way he had been instructed by an Austin mechanic all those years ago.
Having returned the pipe, I decide to buy my own flaring tool having seen them advertised on eBay. The kit I got came from the UK, but came with no instructions. I am trying to replicate the flare as shown on the left, a bubble flare, however when I used the former (in centre ) the flare came out as a "funnel" type flare. This is NOT what I want
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
If you look at the former you can see how it flares out the end of the pipe so in my mind this former is incorrect.
I have contacted the seller, to ask for instructions in case I'm using it incorrectly, despite be listed in the UK on eBay the seller is Chinese and has been sending me links (in Chinese) which won't open on my PC. I shall be seeking a full refund.
The problem I have is the majority of these cheaper flaring tools all appear to be the same sort of thing so unless they have the correct former which makes a bubble flare the tool will be useless to Mini owners!!

this tool does both SAE flares

https://www.frost.co...ehicle-use.html

the instructions on the web page are currently totally wrong but you do get them with it and it works. they also do a DIN kit as well.

#9 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

I believe the former is the wrong shape, see my sketch below.
The former on the left will make a "funnel" flare , but we need a bubble flare as shown on the right. I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at.

Attached File  image.jpeg   49.23K   3 downloads

Please excuse my sketch, it was the only way I knew to draw this out to allow attaching to this post.

#10 Finbin

Finbin

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:12 PM

Having returned the pipe, I decide to buy my own flaring tool having seen them advertised on eBay. The kit I got came from the UK, but came with no instructions. I am trying to replicate the flare as shown on the left, a bubble flare, however when I used the former (in centre ) the flare came out as a "funnel" type flare. This is NOT what I wantattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

this tool does both SAE flares
https://www.frost.co...ehicle-use.html
the instructions on the web page are currently totally wrong but you do get them with it and it works. they also do a DIN kit as well.
Hi
I bought one of these from Race Retro last year, was cheaper than that, I but I cant remember who I bought it from, works great and is small enough to use on the car without having to remove the whole length of pipe.

Edited by Finbin, 19 January 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#11 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

@DUF2

you may buy the single pressure parts at amazon , each at about 15 pound.

hazet 2191-4 and hazet 2191-5

Edited by genpop, 19 January 2018 - 04:29 PM.

#12 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

If your life depends on it I'm in favor of spending a bit more (well a lot more I suppose) and getting a quality tool that will do all the flares correctly.

https://www.ebay.com...25264858?chn=ps

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users