#1 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:46 PM

I'm just checking how this is best achieved. I know timing is right ... I've lost count of how many times I checked it ... and distributor drive is positioned ok. Rotor arm is aligned to cap and lead 1. That bit I'm fine with.

So using the lamp on contacts trick am I looking at gently rotating the dizzie clockwise (contacts move up on cam heel) until the lamp GOES OUT or rotating it back until it COMES ON ???

TIA

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

Rotate Clockwise until the lamp goes out.

#3 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:28 PM

Thanks! It's about 30 years since I built my last A-series!!

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

The rotor arm goes anti clockwise* and you get a spark when the points open and the coil's field collapses (hence why they're also called contact breakers). So the dizzy body "turns" clockwise relative the the rotor arm.

Useful to know for plug leads:

3 1

4 2

I actually prefer to turn the dizzy clockwise until the bulb lights. I tell myself the bulb lights quicker than it cools  :dozing:

#5 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

It was just whether I was expecting lamp to go out or come on. It is odd none of the website write-ups mentioned that ... 'connect the lamp, earth it, and turn the body' ... but then what? ;-)

Everything else I'm happy with. Had three cars wil A-series engines and rebuilt two engines (all inline though) and spend many hours under my mate's Mini bonnet in the 70s/80s.

Now building a 1330 Midget engine. And while doing that writing a guide for my classic car club's website and magazine about timing. Thus is stage 2, next up is using the timing light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users