21 replies to this topic

#1 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

So I'm on my way home from work tonight and I notice my dashlights were ever so slightly dimmer than normal and didn't think much of it. All through my journey home though I noticed one by one the dashlights were going out. I started to worry as I looked down to check my speedo and realized I couldn't see anything on my dash! All the lights were out! Is this a problem anyone's come across before? If so, what's wrong? The instruments work fine as always, just can't see them. I wouldn't normally mind but it's absolutely pitch black in my mini right now. Not looking forward to the journey into work in the morning!
Thanks
Paul

#2 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

So I'm on my way home from work tonight and I notice my dashlights were ever so slightly dimmer than normal and didn't think much of it. All through my journey home though I noticed one by one the dashlights were going out. I started to worry as I looked down to check my speedo and realized I couldn't see anything on my dash! All the lights were out! Is this a problem anyone's come across before? If so, what's wrong? The instruments work fine as always, just can't see them. I wouldn't normally mind but it's absolutely pitch black in my mini right now. Not looking forward to the journey into work in the morning!
Thanks
Paul

Would be useful if you stated what year mini. As wireing differs 

#3 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

Probably either the earth to the binnacle or the feed which comes from the bottom fuse on a four way box,grubby or rotten spade terminal would be my guess, rest of the fusebox not far behind normally.

#4 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

My bad. 'H' reg, 91? Its not the standard dash though. Before i bought the car it had a 3 clock dash fitted. Originally it had a 2 clock dash.

#5 Kieranlee999

Kieranlee999

I am mainly being a nutter from MotorNutz.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Local Club: Robin Hood Mini Club,

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:47 PM

My bad. 'H' reg, 91? Its not the standard dash though. Before i bought the car it had a 3 clock dash fitted. Originally it had a 2 clock dash.

Have you got rear lights and side lights on? If not check the connections on the fuse :) 

#6 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:20 AM

Yeah my heaslights were on.

#7 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

Not what he asked ... rear and side lights are on same circuut as dssh lights. Headlights aren't fused on all Minis.

#8 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:46 AM

If the side lights front and rear including the number plate are on then I'd look at the dash earth, that said the wire from the fuse box just for the dash lights could have broken/corroded.

#9 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

I'll check out both then. It was sat over xmas on my drive which want a good idea in hindsight.
Thanks

#10 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

Just found out my rear lights ahs number plate lights assent working as well. Some guy got out his car and told me while sat at some lights on the way home. So thanks gazza, sounds like a fuse and/or dodgy connection. And thanks everyone else for suggestions! Sets me off on fixing the problem

#11 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

I had this a while ago, fitted a new switch and all was well for a while. Later I had to take the new switch apart to clean out the waxy grease that was preventing it from working properly - all good now. 

#12 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

I have replaced all the light switches as they were all faded/old.

#13 Kieranlee999

Kieranlee999

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

Just found out my rear lights ahs number plate lights assent working as well. Some guy got out his car and told me while sat at some lights on the way home. So thanks gazza, sounds like a fuse and/or dodgy connection. And thanks everyone else for suggestions! Sets me off on fixing the problem

if you have the 4 fuse block it should be the third one down to test this just swap over the bottom fuse and try it :) 

#14 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

if you have the 4 fuse block it should be the third one down to test this just swap over the bottom fuse and try it :)

It's not the 3rd it's the bottom one, I said to check it in post #3 lol.

#15 Kieranlee999

Kieranlee999

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

It's not the 3rd it's the bottom one, I said to check it in post #3 lol.

mine must be swapped around :P radio and cigarette lighter is the 4th one down on mine and lights are the third xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users