Im back on the Mini scene after a few years away from a classic. My last was a 1993 Mini Mayfair, i think it was a daylight edition as there were so may holes!
Im not a mechanic, but im keen to learn (slowly while i get my confidence). I had to get rid of the last one as it was just beyond me, so its gone to a good home to be restored....
So i have just brought my 1997 Rover Mini Cooper MPI in Hawaiian Blue.
Already we are having issues. After the test drive the water pump started leaking. I did a deal with the owner to knock money off of the price to take care of that and a few other issues. Had to stop a few times on the way home, but i had forgotten just what a Mini means. Lots of smiles and waves, and even a very kind bloke came out offering to top up my water as my Mini pee'd brown water outside his house.
Reverse appeared to be an issue, and the following day we managed to snap the clutch pedal thing to get reverse - to be fair the peddle was clearly not right and i had picked this up on the test drive.
Got the car recovered to my local garage to assess the damage - I promised my wife i would get the Mini fully checked before we put our 15 month old in a death trap. We got a nice long list of parts needed: Clutch kit, clutch pedal, cluctch slave, header tank, water pump, steering arm, rear radius arms, oil pressure switch and two tyres.
There is also an issue with the wheels and spacers - i have opened a technical help on this issue (click here)
So parts are on order from Mini Spares, Mini Sport and Somerford Mini - once they arrive the Mini will go back to have these fitted. Once thats done i will start working on the other issues.
Issues / Problems
1. Car was sold as a sports pack, however looks like It may be a Cooper with Sportpack options - Still investigating.
2. Wheels have spacers and may not be correct - Still investigating.
3. Engine bay is a bit messy - will need a tidy up and repaint.
4. Doors are full of filler and will need re-skinning at some point.
5. front end is the wrong one and will need to be replaced.
6. Lights need tidying up - sports don't work.
7. Interior is original and untidy - will need replacing.
8. Few bit of bubbling paintwork in the usual places.
9. Negative Camber on the front with no adjusters - Will replace with standard rods.
10. Chrome bumpers and grill dent and need to be replaced.
So thats the start. Going to be a long project as my wife and are are also refurbishing our house and dealing with a stroppy 15 month old Redhead. A few start pictures below, including my first Mini (before the bodywork disintegrated)