Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

ergh... minisport  :mmkay:

7.5% Discount from minispares with membership and better quality products.

#17 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:32 PM

Nice!

Have yo considered the Cooper 'S' Kit...?

Q

What an excellent video..... Born to be a presenter!!

Saw a bit of Project Binkey in it  :D

Defiantly worth considering once the car is back on the road. Looks a nightmare to fit some of the bits, and i guess it always helps if they send you the right bits!

#18 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

ergh... minisport  :mmkay:

7.5% Discount from minispares with membership and better quality products.

Mini Sport have been pretty good to me so far. Ive used Mini Spares in the past and always found them really good. Will look into the membership. 

#19 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:59 PM

So a quick update........

All the parts have arrived now, although they took a bit longer then expected.

Unfortunately Mini Sport were quick to take my payment, but not so quick to inform me that my wheels were out of stock until at least March!! 

Was quite annoying as their site said 5-7 days and i had to chase them for an update. Up until now i have been pleased with the service. I did pick another set, but to add insult to injury it cost me almost another £30 with no wiggle room on the price. I know everyone will tell me they could have got better wheels for a better price,  but by this point i was getting quite annoyed and just wanted my car on the road. All in all i think the wheels look good, although i think the finish could have been a little better and the amount of weights needed to balance them is a bit scary for a NEW set of wheels. 

I test fitted the wheels and love the overall stance, although you can really see how the front suspension has collapsed. Thankfully front suspension was on my known list, so this should be ok soon. 

While i was tinkering i also fitted the dash from my old Mini Mayfair. Its one of those black leather looking aftermarket ones. They look ok, but made of cheap nasty MDF. Unfortunately the rear brackets got knocked in storage and pulled out of the back, meaning the screws wont hold them in anymore. Thankfully cable ties came to the rescue and are holding it on. Its a temp fix, but I'm looking to make my own dash from scratch soon. 

The aftermarket sound system has been removed - honestly never seen so much spare wire in my life. Probably enough speaker wire for a double decker bus. I get worried with things like that, as there was wire everywhere spliced into different places. I will be fitting a sound system as some point, but for the moment I'm concentrating on getting the car on the road.  

So the Mini is down at the local garage to get the big stuff done. As im no mechanic and my wife decided to knock walls down in our house, im a bit short of time. So the plan is to get the car safe, legal and running at the garage - then i will learn to do bits as they come up or we upgrade. 

Really looking forward to going for that first proper spin! 

Attached Files

#20 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

Nice! Minisport are pretty useless, and always have been. I bought my car there in 2002 (the one in the video) and they were pretty uselss, took ages to pick me up from the station (I took train up and drove back) kept me waiting in the showroom for ages, and didn't even put a full tank in for me (knowing Ihad a long journey)...

#21 se7enmvu

se7enmvu

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:20 PM

Looks like the making of a good project. Love the colour too.

Minisport are pretty hopeless, my last couple of orders have been delayed by items that were showing in stock on the website that were actually out of stock.

Can't go wrong with minispares.

#22 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

There really is no love for Mini Sport on here lol.

I think i will give Mini Spares a go for my next order, they were always good to me in the past.

#23 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:17 PM

So its been a little while as i have been so busy working on my house and just haven't had time for anything else, but here's a quick update.

My Mini is on the road!!!

After a few trips backwards and forwards, new discs and pads, new rear wheel cylinders and all 4 cones replacing - he rolled out on his own steam.

The front cones were completely crushed, so i took advice and fitted the Mini Spares ones on the front. I then used the Mini Sport ones on the rears as i already had them and didn't want them to do to waste. The rear ones weren't as bad, but still worth changing. Looked like a monster truck when they were first fitted!! They are slowly bedding in, but as we have only ever had one person i the car at a time, its still not sitting completely flat, which does effect the handling. Im hoping we can sort this soon. I did try weighting the passenger side down, but it made no difference. 

I briefly poped in to the Brooklands Mini day - He got a fair amount of attention. People really seemed to love the colour.

I had fitted the white lights, but despite the red bulbs, they just seemed to glow pink. My wife hated it and didn't think it was particularly safe, so i painted the stop lights red. Its custom, but has a nice OEM look. I also fitted a 3rd brake light (Not in picture). Its very similar to the late Rover version, but just a cheap Chinese import. It looks ok and does the job, but i will defiantly replace at some point. 

So next problem to address is my passenger side front calliper. Its not in the best condition and i have been advised its starting to seize. You can really feel it under heavy breaking, so i will replace both fronts. Just need to work out what to replace with, that wont break the bank while i have so many house projects going on. 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users