Photo
- - - - -

Conversion To Central Speedo Wiring

electrical

Best Answer alex-95 , 15 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

Cheers lads off to the Classic Car Show tomorrow on the hunt for some interior bits and pieces.

Looking at wiring diagrams for a few different year looms, the brown wire goes to the ignition, My ignition light colours in the above photos are brown/yellow so they should connect together.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

Having completely re wired a few cars including a 75 lamborghini I'm not scared. But the mini loom I purchased needs some direction. Has anyone done this job and put together a wiring diagram using the loom you can purchase. As you can see the loom actually has different colours each end and the business end, where I was hoping to just connect up the matching wires doesn't match up either???? If anyone's done this job using a pre purchased loom do they have any helpful pics or a diagram??

Attached Files

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

This link and photos may help:-

Converting To A Centre Speedo

http://www.theminifo...-centre-speedo/

Edited by mab01uk, 21 January 2018 - 08:20 PM.

#3 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

I think they're generic colours - something like blue/white main beam, green/white indicator, red/green indicator, brown alternator? whatever's left oil pressure, green power to illumination bulbs, black earths to speedo back.

#4 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

Thanks guys I've looked at the mini2infinit guide which is very good. There are a couple of things it doesnt help with though. Firstly I have the smiths 90mph speedo which has five lights. My memory of my first mini is that the green light was the indicators which flashed for either side. So I have to splice the two indicators together. One of the orange lights is for the oil pressure and the other one I don't think was used for anything. The biggest problem is that I purchased the special loom for this job. It has a load of green wires that seem to loop to themselves, I can't think what they are for unless they are live or earths but why would they be green? I've wired most the speedo see picture but these green ones don't go to the other end of the loom so they are a bit of a mystery.

Attached Files

#5 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:12 PM

Thanks guys I've looked at the mini2infinit guide which is very good. There are a couple of things it doesnt help with though. Firstly I have the smiths 90mph speedo which has five lights. My memory of my first mini is that the green light was the indicators which flashed for either side. So I have to splice the two indicators together. One of the orange lights is for the oil pressure and the other one I don't think was used for anything. The biggest problem is that I purchased the special loom for this job. It has a load of green wires that seem to loop to themselves, I can't think what they are for unless they are live or earths but why would they be green? I've wired most the speedo see picture but these green ones don't go to the other end of the loom so they are a bit of a mystery.

If it's an old 90mph speedo with 5 colored lens then they should be..

lower right RED for ignition w/l

lower left BLUE for main beam

the two mid ORANGE are for indicators

and top GREEN for oil pressure    at least that's how mine was wired.

you really should use the two amber lens for indicators as then you don't have to splice them together.    as for lots of spare green wires....no clue there.

#6 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

Originally the top green is indicators, left Orange oil pressure and right Orange was something with the oil filter iirc.
I wired mine like splintercat.
The looped green wires might be for the Dash lights?

#7 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

The light greens go to the voltage regulator, I've got my speedo out at the moment so I'll take a photo of it and post it up this evening. I've added extra wires to mine though.

#8 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

I moved the voltage regulator position as I needed a bit more room to fit the binnacle with the bulkhead blanking plate, also the reason the indicator light is bent. I've added the heated rear screen (light green/Yellow) as there would be a spare light doing nothing and I changed my switches to toggle meant there would be no light for it. All the colours The conversion loom came with were the same colour as my original loom (1982) I've labelled a few but can cable more if required.

RT5Pcdg.jpg

0qHLnZs.jpg

8uaOuEj.jpg

YxCBJjf.jpg

gDdTDZV.jpg

wYugncR.jpg

cGlCN3P.jpg

ZAysOfp.jpg

gDV3MAt.jpg

#9 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Mate that is super helpful, I found a wiring diagram which shows the greens are live. But as we all know a picture tells a thousand words and a photograph is even better. thanks hugely, this is why I join forums.

#10 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

so now I'm looking at the other end of the wiring loom I've matched up all the colours per the Clamp makers pictures but I have some wires that don't match up and some bulbs that are missing.  Ive attached a picture showing the wires that match up.  then I have a couple of wires one light green and orange and one black and white that don't seem to correspond with anything in the new loom that converts to the central speedo.  I am looking through the wiring diagram for these colours but a swift heads up if anyone knows would help.

The wires I have spare on the new loom are brown and yellow and green, the wires on the car loom that are spare are brown, green, light green and orange, white and black.  I think white and black is the ignition light but I'm not convinced?

Attached Files

#11 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:28 PM

The Light green orange and the white black are for the rev counter. What year loom is it? It's probably the green goes with the green and the brown/yellow goes with the brown But would need to check the haynes manual wiring diagram to see what it's for.

#12 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

Light green/orange and white/black are feed and earth(goes to coil negative) for the rev counter

#13 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

Cheers lads off to the Classic Car Show tomorrow on the hunt for some interior bits and pieces.

#14 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:23 PM   Best Answer

Looking at wiring diagrams for a few different year looms, the brown wire goes to the ignition, My ignition light colours in the above photos are brown/yellow so they should connect together.

#15 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

Making some decent progress with this apart from changing the hazard warning switch to a new one. It was duff and the indicators all stopped working. Changed it back and off we went again.

So I have the following connections per the picture attached.

Fuel Gauge. Green and Black
Main Beam warning light. Blue and White
Indicator dash light. Green and White and Green and Red
Water temp gauge. Green and Blue
Ignition light Brown and Yellow and White
Dash lights Red and Green
Ignition Power White to back of voltage regulator.
Rev Counter not connected yet. White and Black and Green and Orange.

That just leaves me with one problem. All the wires are used up on the special loom and they are all connected to the wires on the loom of the car. (Rev counter wires accounted for). I dont have a light for the oil pressure there doesnt seem to be one on the wiring loom. In the Clamp Makers excellent pictures he has an oil pressure light which is white and white and brown. I dont know why but my loom appears to be missing them?? Can I just run a single wire from one end of the oil pressure sensor to the bulb and the other end to the voltage stabiliser as shown in the wiring diagram?

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users