Photo
- - - - -

Whats The Most Mechanically Sympathetic Way To Drive An Auto Mini ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

I drive a 92 rover 1275 A+ mini and was wondering how is best to drive it to not cause unneccessary wear to the auto box?

points I would like to discuss

- when shifting manually through 123and d is it best to let off throttle then change, or keep on the throttle , or partial throttle?

- is it better to put in D and let it sihft how it wants , I do it both ways but this way you cant let off the accelerator because you dont know when it will change

I never thrash it from cold, always dirve gently until fully up to temperature, and when up to running temps I will accelerate more but never abuse the engine or box.

Car is always kept serviced and maintained regularly.

#2 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:30 AM

You sound like you are doing the right things...warming up first helps any engine and box, as I understand it most of the wear to unthrashed engines etc occurs in the first 2 or 3 minutes.

When it comes to driving an auto box I would put it in D and let it do its own thing most of the time. I would advise dropping gears manually going down steeper hills, but not using the box to slow down, just matching the gear to the speed. When shifting manually 123 D you should not need to lift off the gas.

You should be OK keeping the gas pedal steady or slightly down when it changes up gears in D and as you know if you put pedal to metal it downshifts a gear to gain the acceleration...its not realistic to lift off when it changes as you can't always predict when to do it, as you said.

The biggest problem now with auto boxes is finding someone to work on them and parts, some are obsolete.

#3 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:27 AM

use the right foot gently on the go pedal

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

If you're sat iin traffic for a period of time, take it out of drive and put it in Neutral.

#5 Wim Fournier

Wim Fournier

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

I agree with all the above, only  "its not realistic to lift off when it changes as you can't always predict when to do it "; with a little excersize you can 'instruct' the gearchange by  enlightening the pressure on the throttle a little when you want a change upwards. Shifting downwards you can only direct with the gear change handle.

When you reed  autominiregister.proboards.com thouroly, you can learn that the opinion is, that the quality and caracteristics of motoroils is bettering all the time you could choose for a motorcycle oil what is special for use with wet clutches.

#6 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

very good info guys cheers, so would using a semi synthetic motorcycle oil be a good idea to use?

and Yeah I always put in neutral when stationary for a long time.

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

I've got 2 tubs of this waiting for a uprated auto unit...

https://www.classic-...s-Sport-4-10W40

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users