21 replies to this topic

#1 matto224

matto224

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

Hey guys! I have a 1995 spi rover and im looking to start on engine upgrades to give it a little more power, im new to minis so still learning!

I understand spi engines are much harder to tune than carbd engines (i wanted a carbed engine but chose bodywork over engine)

Can anyone point me in the right direction for starters? I was thinking of a exhaust system anyone recommend a good system?

Thanks !!

#2 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

Hi,

My Mayfair's engine has been rebuilt and rebored to 1293cc, had a stage 4 head, kent 274 cam and an LCB/RC40 exhaust system and K+N air filter.  Now has 53bhp at the wheels.  Still has the spi system.  Its built for reliability, could get way more power with a carb but the rolling road guy (Southam mini centre) commented on what a strong and well balanced engine it is.  I'd suggest going for the exhaust and an air filter to give an instant boost and it will sound nicer too.

#3 matto224

matto224

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

Hi,

My Mayfair's engine has been rebuilt and rebored to 1293cc, had a stage 4 head, kent 274 cam and an LCB/RC40 exhaust system and K+N air filter.  Now has 53bhp at the wheels.  Still has the spi system.  Its built for reliability, could get way more power with a carb but the rolling road guy (Southam mini centre) commented on what a strong and well balanced engine it is.  I'd suggest going for the exhaust and an air filter to give an instant boost and it will sound nicer too.

Hi! Thank you for your reply :) youve certainly had some work then, bet it drives lovely, if you dont mind me asking, is it expensive the work youve have had done? 53bhp doesn't sound a lot does it but in a mini bet it pulls! :D Wheres a good place to get an exhaust system? I have a k&n air filter :)

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:50 PM

Hi,

Hi! Thank you for your reply :) youve certainly had some work then, bet it drives lovely, if you dont mind me asking, is it expensive the work youve have had done? 53bhp doesn't sound a lot does it but in a mini bet it pulls! :D Wheres a good place to get an exhaust system? I have a k&n air filter :)

Thats an ATW figure, it's most likely 70 at the fly.

#5 matto224

matto224

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

Thats an ATW figure, it's most likely 70 at the fly.[/quote]

Ahh i knew that!! ;)

#6 Zach P-D

Zach P-D

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:12 AM

I have a 95 SPI, Currently have a stage 3 head to go on from CalverST, 1.5:1 rockers and a few other goodies, future plans are a Piper BP255 cam. I also have a straight through Fletcher system installed too :), Keith at CalverST said my set up should make about 80-85 ish bph

#7 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

You can get upgrade packs or buy individual parts yourself.

For example the Mini Sport stage 3 kit will get you near 85bhp at the fly and costs about £1300.

If you don't want to spend that much in one go then you could buy used or individual parts, and do bits and bobs as you can afford

#8 matto224

matto224

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

I have a 95 SPI, Currently have a stage 3 head to go on from CalverST, 1.5:1 rockers and a few other goodies, future plans are a Piper BP255 cam. I also have a straight through Fletcher system installed too :), Keith at CalverST said my set up should make about 80-85 ish bph

Sounds good that does mate! How do you get around the MOT with a straight through exhaust?

#9 matto224

matto224

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

For example the Mini Sport stage 3 kit will get you near 85bhp at the fly and costs about £1300.

If you don't want to spend that much in one go then you could buy used or individual parts, and do bits and bobs as you can afford

I was looking at the packs on mini sport last night! Im probably going to buy parts individual parts and do her up slowly, firstly i was looking at this maniflow back box , https://www.minispor...abs_description

Will be a good starter i think?

#10 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

After recent discoveries, i'd be wary about minisport's cylinder heads... or just the company in general.

Edited by Steve220, 24 January 2018 - 12:46 PM.

#11 matto224

matto224

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

After recent discoveries, i'd be wary about minisport's cylinder heads... or just the company in general.

Ahhh okay! What discoveries if you dont mind me asking?

#12 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

Claiming 3 angle valve seats and then only having one.

#13 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Hi,

Thats an ATW figure, it's most likely 70 at the fly.

You're exactly right - 70 and the flywheel.  Originally it had 53 at the flywheel so a fair increase.

#14 Zach P-D

Zach P-D

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

Stay away from Minisport heads, only heard bad. This is the bloke you want to talk to about heads, I got further with him in an hour than with other companies in a month. https://www.calverst.../cylinder-head/

Also as to how I get through MOT, I just have a friendly MOT man  ;D  :shy: 

Finally, if you're looking a exhausts I have the whole system from LCB back with a cat link pipe that I could sell, it's a single box RC40 and did sound nice. 

#15 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

Thats at the wheels, its 70 ish at the flywheel.  In total it came to under £2k which was fully built which I know is a bargain, the garage that did it isn't around anymore.  I supplied the head from a guy I found on ebay who builds them in his spare time but even with that, I got it within the £2k.  Id recommend minispares, my whole system is RC40 including the Playmini style stainless backbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users