Photo
- - - - -

Clutch Oil Seal Protector - Verto

Best Answer Spider , 27 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

They were only fitted from later in 1979 and on (pre-verto days !), prior to that, they had nothing other than the seal itself.

You'd be reasonably safe to fit up without one but I use them on every build as a little bit of insurance. Also, if the seal does leak a little with one of these fitted, it's less likely to end up on the plate unless it really starts leak.

Fitting position is so it just clears the seal, only about 1 - 2 mm is well enough.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

Hi, just out of interest, wondering whether anyone has used the plastic oil seal protector (Minispares part DAM2821). Is it necessary (I guess it's needed only if the seal starts leaking?) And any advice on positioning on the primary gear splines (e.g. avoiding contact with the housing behind primary gear). Many thanks.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:20 AM   Best Answer

They were only fitted from later in 1979 and on (pre-verto days !), prior to that, they had nothing other than the seal itself.

You'd be reasonably safe to fit up without one but I use them on every build as a little bit of insurance. Also, if the seal does leak a little with one of these fitted, it's less likely to end up on the plate unless it really starts leak.

Fitting position is so it just clears the seal, only about 1 - 2 mm is well enough.

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,893 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

Fit it every time. As Moke has written, it prevents clutch dust eating away at the rubber and stops leaking oil contaminating the plate.

Edited by Steve220, 27 January 2018 - 10:17 AM.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 12:54 PM

I've just tried fitting a new one of these oil seal protectors and it's very loose on the primary gear.  Is this normal?  I've only seen old ones before with clutch dust all over them but they fitted a lot more securely than this new one.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:24 PM

They are normally a fairly firm fit. If it's loose, while I can't see it damaging anything, I can't see it being too effective either.

#6 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:50 AM

Check it out:

v3HdAEf.jpg

lSWRAOO.jpg

Came from Minimine on Ebay.  Sent back and got a no explanation refund.  Found an old one, cleaned it up and it works fine and as expected.  The "new" one was ever so slightly larger than the old one and the Leyland symbol on it far less pronounced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users