#1 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

Hi everyone,
Just after some advise, I recently painted my mini with surf blue cellulose paint that I bought from Jawel. The car was painted inside our workshop in a marquee to avoid painting everything blue! Considering it was my first time painting a car it turned out quite well, however the paint doesn't quite have to deep gloss that I was after, I would describe it as shiny rather than glossy.
Anyway, I used some 2K HS clear from an aerosol to go over the parts that were not so easy to polish such as the door jams, boot and engine bay which gave a really nice finish that is actually more glossy than the rest of the car!
So my question is, can this be used to go over the already polished paint on the rest of the car? Also, can it be bought in tins rather than aerosol as I would prefer to spay it on with a gun?
Thanks in advance

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

with Celly you normally apply loads of coats of paint and then buff it to the finish you want and then wax.

i am surprised that your clear has not reacted.

but it is years since i played about with Celly.

#3 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

Yeah that's what I did but it still had a slightly "flat" look to it, whereas the areas I clearcoated had a really nice wet look!
And no there was no sign of the paints reacting with each other

#4 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

You can get 1k Acrylic Clearcoat which is fine to put over celly.

I think it's around £15-£20 a litre

#5 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:56 PM

That's interesting, thanks Ben_O. Would that give me the deep gloss that you get from 2k? I'm assuming that is also okay to spray at home?
Thanks

#6 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:43 AM

That's interesting, thanks Ben_O. Would that give me the deep gloss that you get from 2k? I'm assuming that is also okay to spray at home?
Thanks
It would, but it would need to be left after spraying to harden, then flatted/sanded with wet and dry and polished (not as hard as it sounds).

Take a look at the last current page or two of my 25 project witch has been painted in 1k (even though the painter ******* that it's not along with other crap) and look for yourself at how glossy mine/1k can look.

Edited by 1984mini25, 29 January 2018 - 12:43 AM.

#7 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

Your car does have a nice gloss to it! I was just doing some reaseach and come across this stuff:
https://www.jawel.co...roducts_id=3411
It's a non-isocyanate version of 2K paint and apparently still gives similar results to the real thing. Has anyone ever used this before or knows how it compares to the 1K stuff? I know it takes a long time to cure but I'll be spraying inside so I'm not too worried about that.

#8 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

I painted this with Celly and 1K acrylic clear coat

Z9f9eCy.jpg

You can get a good shine with un-clearcoated Celly but the shine doesn't last as long so regular polishing is required to keep it up and seal in the shine

#9 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

Z9f9eCy.jpg

You can get a good shine with un-clearcoated Celly but the shine doesn't last as long so regular polishing is required to keep it up and seal in the shine

That looks very smart Ben_O! Is that the UPOL smart acrylic stuff? Also, did you just wet and dry the cellulose before applying the clear over the top?

#10 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

Well I just spoke to a guy from Jawel and he says that regular 2K will go over cellulose no problem but the iso free stuff will cause a reaction. So since I do have an air fed mask I think I will go for the proper 2k stuff and just make sure I'm in a well ventilated area! It's obviously not as safe as the 1K stuff but should be much more durable and I'll take all of the necessary precautions.

#11 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

That looks very smart Ben_O! Is that the UPOL smart acrylic stuff? Also, did you just wet and dry the cellulose before applying the clear over the top?

I applied the colour coat in several coats (can't remember how many) and then let it flash off for 30 minutes and then went straight on with the clear.

I think that was Churchill clear coat.

Well I just spoke to a guy from Jawel and he says that regular 2K will go over cellulose no problem but the iso free stuff will cause a reaction. So since I do have an air fed mask I think I will go for the proper 2k stuff and just make sure I'm in a well ventilated area! It's obviously not as safe as the 1K stuff but should be much more durable and I'll take all of the necessary precautions.

Remember with 2k, it's not just you that you need to protect from it.

If you are doing it in a built up area with close neighbours with children and pets, then it's very risky without proper filtered extraction.

Not worth the risk I would say

#12 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

I live in the middle of nowhere you see and my nearest neighbor is a good few hundred meters from where I will be spraying!
My concern with using the 1K clear like you did is that it really needs to be srayed when the paint is still fresh whereas mine is a couple of months old now so I'm not sure how well it would last.
The guy at Jawel said it's over exaggerated how toxic the 2K stuff is and as long as you're not doing it regularly, you're in a well ventilated area and you use the appropriate safety equipment you'll be fine.
Obviously I've never used the stuff so can only go off of what I've been told, but Jawel is a reputable company so I'd like to think that they know what they're talking about when it comes to safety.

#13 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

Remember with 2k the compressor needs to be in a clean environment so it is not sucking in the overspray. 
​To make sure the clear is going to stick you will need to flat the dry paint down now and then paint the clear coat on with in 24 hours at the latest

#14 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

The guy at Jawel said it's over exaggerated how toxic the 2K stuff is and as long as you're not doing it regularly, you're in a well ventilated area and you use the appropriate safety equipment you'll be fine.

Perhaps but it was fairly irresponsible of him to give you that advice.

You won't have issues with 1K as long as you prep your paint by flatting it back either with 1500 wet/dry or a prep blend paste with a scotchbrite.

Choice is yours though

#15 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

Perhaps but it was fairly irresponsible of him to give you that advice.

I did think that because these companies usually go way over the top with their safety advice to cover themselves so I was quite taken aback when he said that it's not as dangerous as it's made out to be!
Anyway, I won't be spraying until the weather warms up so I've got some time to make a decision and do abit more research! I'll update here on what I end up going with and how it goes!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users