#16 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

The guy at Jawel said it's over exaggerated how toxic the 2K stuff is and as long as you're not doing it regularly, you're in a well ventilated area and you use the appropriate safety equipment you'll be fine.

Perhaps but it was fairly irresponsible of him to give you that advice.

You won't have issues with 1K as long as you prep your paint by flatting it back either with 1500 wet/dry or a prep blend paste with a scotchbrite.

Choice is yours though

a bit of an understatement there.

I was doing a small paint job a couple of weeks ago in the shed i've got two extracter fans one large one small so on i went with the job mask on a 3M thought that will do the job and it did for the face. the bad mistake was not understanding the paint as i have always used 2K. It wasnt till i woke up in hospital that i was told that I had to be brought back to life as my lungs had shut down and didnt know that it contains isocyante or something like that so it's celluloss from now on.

The Mask was not air fed but it was carbon filtered cost around £30 but I was told that the mask was not what caused the problem, That chemical that is in the 2K seemingly can get through the eyes and the pours in your skin very quickly so idealy i should have had a full suit with the air fed system, but like i said leason learnt mate.

http://www.mig-weldi...n-learnt.14051/

it is your life.

#17 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

Remember with 2k the compressor needs to be in a clean environment so it is not sucking in the overspray. 
​To make sure the clear is going to stick you will need to flat the dry paint down now and then paint the clear coat on with in 24 hours at the latest

Thanks for the advice midridge2, if I do go down the 2K route I think I will use a long hose on the compressor and put it outside to make sure it's getting plenty of clean air! As for the flatting back I will do as you say and probably try to get the whole process done in one day.

#18 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

The guy at Jawel said it's over exaggerated how toxic the 2K stuff is and as long as you're not doing it regularly, you're in a well ventilated area and you use the appropriate safety equipment you'll be fine.

Perhaps but it was fairly irresponsible of him to give you that advice.

You won't have issues with 1K as long as you prep your paint by flatting it back either with 1500 wet/dry or a prep blend paste with a scotchbrite.

Choice is yours though
a bit of an understatement there.

I was doing a small paint job a couple of weeks ago in the shed i've got two extracter fans one large one small so on i went with the job mask on a 3M thought that will do the job and it did for the face. the bad mistake was not understanding the paint as i have always used 2K. It wasnt till i woke up in hospital that i was told that I had to be brought back to life as my lungs had shut down and didnt know that it contains isocyante or something like that so it's celluloss from now on.

The Mask was not air fed but it was carbon filtered cost around £30 but I was told that the mask was not what caused the problem, That chemical that is in the 2K seemingly can get through the eyes and the pours in your skin very quickly so idealy i should have had a full suit with the air fed system, but like i said leason learnt mate.[/size]

http://www.mig-weldi...n-learnt.14051/

it is your life.

Thanks for those nicklouse, I will definitely have to speak to some professional painters and see what they say. It's definitely not something I would want to do without speaking to an expert first.

#19 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

, I will definitely have to speak to some professional painters and see what they say. It's definitely not something I would want to do without speaking to an expert first.

Well you have had the advice of one  ;D

#20 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

, I will definitely have to speak to some professional painters and see what they say. It's definitely not something I would want to do without speaking to an expert first.

Sorry Ben_O I didn't realise! Well I think that fact that you're a professional and you use 1K speaks volumes! In that case I will probably go the safe route then and use the 1K stuff! You said you used the Churchill clear, would you recommend it? Of course I can see how well it turned out but was it difficult to achieve that finish? Thanks!

#21 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

Sorry Ben_O I didn't realise! Well I think that fact that you're a professional and you use 1K speaks volumes! In that case I will probably go the safe route then and use the 1K stuff! You said you used the Churchill clear, would you recommend it? Of course I can see how well it turned out but was it difficult to achieve that finish? Thanks!

I don't use 1K at work and have only ever used it years and years ago.

The roof in my photograph was painted about 3 years ago under a marquee on a driveway using only a small compressor, a cheap basic spray gun and came out fine. No reason why you can't achieve the same.

Back to 2K, I use it at work in a spray booth with filtered extraction, I wear full white overalls with hood, gloves and a fully sealed air fed mask.

In the spirit of honesty and despite the fact I am embarrassed to admit it, I ran out of peel off visor covers for my airfed and didn't want to use it without for fear of getting overspray on the visor so did a couple of small jobs with a filter mask on and although the symptoms I got were not too bad, they were bad enough to raise alarm bells.

I had a tightness in my chest, cough and chest pains. I recovered pretty quickly but now take no chances.

Remember that it is dangerous to get on your skin too. 

#22 mini_man96

mini_man96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

[quote name="Ben_O" post="3517646" timestamp="1517256252"][quote name="mini_man96" post="3517644" timestamp="1517255592"]

I don't use 1K at work and have only ever used it years and years ago.
The roof in my photograph was painted about 3 years ago under a marquee on a driveway using only a small compressor, a cheap basic spray gun and came out fine. No reason why you can't achieve the same.

Back to 2K, I use it at work in a spray booth with filtered extraction, I wear full white overalls with hood, gloves and a fully sealed air fed mask.

In the spirit of honesty and despite the fact I am embarrassed to admit it, I ran out of peel off visor covers for my airfed and didn't want to use it without for fear of getting overspray on the visor so did a couple of small jobs with a filter mask on and although the symptoms I got were not too bad, they were bad enough to raise alarm bells.
I had a tightness in my chest, cough and chest pains. I recovered pretty quickly but now take no chances.
Remember that it is dangerous to get on your skin too.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice Ben_O, I think I have been convinced to steer clear of 2K and go for the nice and safe 1K! It's not a show car, it just needs to look presentable! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users