17 replies to this topic

#1 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

Does anyone else drive an MX5 , I've got a mk2.5  Svt sport, its a 1.8 n/a with variable inlet camshaft valve timing, 146bhp, 124lb-ft torque, 6 speed box , LSD , bilstein sports suspension as stock.

I think they are fantastic little cars, they are fast enough , handle amazingly well, are rear wheel drive and 50/50 weight distribution.

They are fairly cheap for what they are, and really have a lot of character. Loads of aftermarket parts just lilke the mini.

Brakes are fantastic and suspension very good.

Only downsides are its image if you care about that sort of thing , and they do rust horriffically just like a mini, and tax is high because its a 2 seater .

I know this isnt an mx5 forum but am interested to here what people on here have to say about the MX5 ?

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:14 PM

Theyre great when turbod!

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

Good cars, transmissions are a bit soft though

#4 Marco1972

Marco1972

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:15 PM

Great cars
Have a hair dresser attachment but look through that
Great engineering and early ones are reasonably priced
So ask yourself why not ,

#5 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:34 PM

I had a mk1 early uk 1.6, lots of fun, especially on slippy roundabouts  :gimme: For a 1.6 115hp it went really well, loved to rev and handling spot on too, sold it not too long ago to upgrade mazda's but was looking at getting another until recently. Still very cheap to get now, mk2's can be had for bargain prices, mk1's seem to be creeping up in value but still very affordable

35634852525_037d669500_c.jpg

#6 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

I rather fancied one, but was a bit disappointed with the driving experience, so bought a Toyota MR2 roadster instead. Love it, but the lack of boot is a major PITA!

#7 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:31 PM

i love turbos , they make drivnig fun.

Like everything these days prices of nice not quite classic cars are going up in price, whether people are buying cars at the daft prices I see knocked about these days is another question.

My gearbox is on 75000 miles and is good and works but can be very stiff and notchy sometimes, and 2nd gear is very  worn out. When it goes I will eventually just swap in another box, also I changed the diff oil and some quite big chunks of  metal came out !!!

Mr2's look great , really love a mid engine rear wheel drive format , incredible handling.

#8 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:50 AM

Great cars to drive.  Like you say though, rust is a major, major problem.  Later cars seem worse for it too and can look relatively smart on top... then you take a look underneath  :ohno:

Mazda sure know how to build a rot box.

#9 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

I rather fancied one, but was a bit disappointed with the driving experience, so bought a Toyota MR2 roadster instead. Love it, but the lack of boot is a major PITA!

Try doing the handbrake cables or a clutch, did both on my daughters MR2 and they were a nightmare.

However the MR2 roadster facelifted version is a fantastic little car, I like it almost as much as an Elise, it just needs more power but even with 140HP is still a quick car and super cheap to buy and maintain.

#10 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

Try doing the handbrake cables or a clutch, did both on my daughters MR2 and they were a nightmare.

However the MR2 roadster facelifted version is a fantastic little car, I like it almost as much as an Elise, it just needs more power but even with 140HP is still a quick car and super cheap to buy and maintain.

Just had the handbrake cables done for MOT - cost me £350! Seats and fuel tank have to come out. God help me if the clutch goes!

#11 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:04 AM

I've had two, both were MK2's (1.8s 5SPD)... absolutely loved it although I went through quite a few sets of rear tyres!

Rear sills, arches and front chassis legs all had to be addressed. I've still got my hard top from my MK2 I need to get round to selling!

#12 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:22 AM

I tried one years ago but ended up plumping for an mgf vvc. Engine was a peach like a Vtec and sounded great behind your ear. Sadly the head gasket issue was more than just hearsay. I did it once then had someone else do it twice then gave up. On the flip side though no structural rust to speak of.

Caught the bug for drop tops and got a 3litre z4 and would have that car back in a heart beat

Edited by dyshipfakta, 03 February 2018 - 10:23 AM.

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

I heard a story about the MX5, but I don't know how true it is.

Apparently the original concept was done by a British automotive design consultancy who did the basic concept & styling in some detail. The MD of the company took this to Rover (or whatever they were calling themselves that week!) as a replacement for the Sprite/Midget/Spitfire/MGB. Rover said that they did not consider it to be a good project as it had little market appeal and they didn't want to be in the sports car business, their focus being on family cars.

So the project was offered to the Japanese with Mazda deciding it might sell well and buying the design and manufacturing rights. The rest, as they say, is history.

Can anyone confirm that this is true? It does sound like it could be.

#14 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

No, thats complete rubbish.

A British company was commissioned to build a running prototype, but the original idea, shape and general design was from Mazda with some styling cues taken from the Elan.

Edited by r3k1355, 03 February 2018 - 04:30 PM.

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:11 PM

So I was given a load of bs then.
It did seem like a bit of a 'story'.
But the MX5 has been a fantastic product over so many years. Has any sports car outsold it I wonder.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users