Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

Formula 1: 'Grid girls' will not be used at races this season
https://www.autospor...from-new-season

Grid girls' are part of F1’s attraction?
http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p05r3xtz

#2 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

There are cars too?

#3 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Snowflakes win again

#4 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

Snowflakes win again

Yep. The so called tolerant and enlightened bunch are happy to see people out of work if it means they don't have to be offended by a pretty face.

#5 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

Apparently they've done the same with professional darts O_O  No more background glamour, just sweaty fat blokes.

#6 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

Aside from the losing their jobs element, I have to say Im really not that bothered. I get that its part of the show but they dont add anything.
If anything, its a good thing. Teenage girls seem to be killing themselves trying to have the perfect body, and to copy people like the glamour models they use when its really not an accurate reflection of what life or female bodies are actually like. Dont get me wrong, I appreciate an attractive woman as much as the next guy (or girl!) but the number of stories of girls starving themselves and who hate their bodies because of the unrealistic look of girls as portrayed by numerous media is absurd. The same is true for young men as well but I think its less publicised. Once young people learn to ignore the superficial crap that means very little maybe they might learn to enjoy their lives a bit more.

And no, Im not a snowflake. But like it or not, times have moved on. You can either sit in the dark and whinge about the good old days, or you can just get on with life.

#7 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

Yep.....quality role models like Kim Kardashian’s what we need........I don’t see a problem with it, if the girls are happy to do it then it should be their decision to stop or continue surely?

#8 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

Aside from the losing their jobs element, I have to say Im really not that bothered. I get that its part of the show but they dont add anything.
If anything, its a good thing. Teenage girls seem to be killing themselves trying to have the perfect body, and to copy people like the glamour models they use when its really not an accurate reflection of what life or female bodies are actually like. Dont get me wrong, I appreciate an attractive woman as much as the next guy (or girl!) but the number of stories of girls starving themselves and who hate their bodies because of the unrealistic look of girls as portrayed by numerous media is absurd. The same is true for young men as well but I think its less publicised. Once young people learn to ignore the superficial crap that means very little maybe they might learn to enjoy their lives a bit more.

And no, Im not a snowflake. But like it or not, times have moved on. You can either sit in the dark and whinge about the good old days, or you can just get on with life.

The problem is we can't have it both ways.

We can't tell teenagers that its fine to be big and beautiful in one sentence, and then the next moment complain that there is an obesity epidemic.

I'm obviously not advocating eating disorders as that is not a healthy way to treat your body. However I fail to see why shouldn't we admire those that look after their body?

#9 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

Theres a big difference between healthy and obese. There is a problem at both ends of the spectrum and I honestly have no idea what the solution is. However, parading around a load of skimpy girls is also not going to fix an obesity epidemic!

Ok, so if its about admiring those that look after their bodies, have a load of blokes walking around who are ripped in small tight clothes. Or a mix of both. The reality is both F1 and darts appeal more to men than women (in general) and so they go with the girls. But aside from something to look at, they really dont add anything.

As for the looking after their bodies, there are loads of people who work out a lot and are ripped / toned etc. but they eat and drink terribly and there is no knowing what their bodies are actually like inside.

#10 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:32 PM

I don't see the problem with them to be honest, it's not like they are being forced to do it against there will and are probably getting pretty decent money for nothing more then standing around and looking pretty. (ok there is more too it than that).

And as for the obesity argument, the fact is people in general are a lot more lazy than they were 20 years ago. You can practically do everything at just a click or a swipe from sitting on your arse on the sofa with zero physical effort.

#11 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:19 PM

I agree if the girls want to do it, its up to them. Its pretty hard for them to then argue against the sexualisation of women when thats exactly what they are promoting though.

As for Kim Kardashian et al, the world is frankly better off without idiots like that. I still dont know what they did / do. There was a big fat girl on some advert for some celeb dating crap gobbling off, does he know who I am? I gather shes someone from TOWIE or one of the other such shows that seem to be everywhere. Again, people that are terrible role models but impressionable youngsters will look up to.

My argument wasnt about obesity, quite the opposite. Glamour models and other people in the public eyes create an image of women that young girls want to follow and go to ridiculous lengths to be skinny. Like I say, theres a problem at both ends of the spectrum.

Im not going to lose any sleep either way. I just hope my daughter doesnt follow all that crap when she gets to that age.

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:54 PM

Some of my photos of the Grid Girls at the Brands Hatch Mini Festival in recent years..... :D

SAM_8064_zpspyvf7v0z.jpg

SAM_8067_zpsolujhs66.jpg

SAM_4018_zps9e38fbf4.jpg

SAM_4015_zpsb3a12948.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 01 February 2018 - 07:17 AM.

#13 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:59 PM

Young girls wanting to be skinny (isn't anything new) is probably more of a parenting issue like so many other things. Some people are naturally skinnier than others, but does that mean that to keep everyone else happy that they have to shy away and cover themselves up?

I myself and skinner than your average bloke, always have been and has nothing to do with being brainwashed by media images. Not that they were any male images 20 years ago and I certainly didn't take much interest in the female ones either. I'm just one of those lucky ones that because I'm always active (sitting still watching tv for hours is my idea of hell and I get bored really easily) or doing something, I can pretty much eat like a horse (and I do) and have no real effect on my weight.

And I'll leave someone else to make a joke about the brunette in the pink knee high socks. lol

Edited by 1984mini25, 01 February 2018 - 12:03 AM.

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:28 AM

i am more concerned about the guys who lost their jobs when the refuelling was stopped.

#15 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:36 AM

What a load of *******.............................Or not......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users