• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Plooge

Plooge
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:55 PM

Hi all.

Im still deliberating selling my nice comfy and nippy Polo Blue GT and getting a classic mini.

I cant decide what to do for though.

There are so many opinions out there that its baffling me.

I wont do any engine tuning so technically could look at one of the later injection models but then that introduces the issue of looking after the car without having access to diagnostics tools for the ecu and its various sensors.

Then there are the temptations of the Jap imports where the sellers say they are fresh in to the country and totally rust free. My research shows that their equivalent of the mot test is harder so the cars have possibly been looked after better.

Then theres the argument of going Austin mini with a good old carb. The forum posts often say they are made of better metal and are obviously easier to diagnose engine or component issues because its all old school, just like my mgb gt Ive recently sold.

Ive been down the welding route with my mgb so can fix things if needed but I would prefer to not have to for a while so Im looking at cars upwards of £6 to £7k minimum.

Any one patient enough to offer yet another newbie some pros and cons would be very much aooriecuated in the form of a polite thank you for the information.

#2 Chris M

Chris M

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

Why not sell the polo,then buy a classic mini for about £5k & then a cheaper everyday car. Maybe a newer shape mini & then youll have a pair!

#3 Plooge

Plooge
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

Unfortunately I dont have the space for a 3rd car.  Id prefer to have only the mini as my every day car.

Its been a week or so since I posted that question and im definately no further down the road (pardon the pun). I can see that £6k will probably get something thats rust free and maybe needs a tidy up inside for example. Thats not a problem because i can drive it daily and then work on it as and when I want to.

Still not sure what everyone things about the Japanese imports. Then theres the RSP minis from 1990ish that also look tempting. 1275 engine with carb in a later body shell...?

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

Personally I would never consider a Mini as an everyday driver. They do need a lot of looking after compared to a modern car. My grandson tried a 1997 MPI as his first car. We bought one and did a very thorough restoration, but after around 5 months with it he realised a modern car was better for daily use and sold the Mini which gave him enough for a Fiesta 1.25 Zetec. The Ford had air-con, power steering, good heating and ventilation, was rust-free, did 12,000 miles between oil changes and was totally reliable. 

Of course, he can drive my 1964 Cooper 'S', so he is not Mini-less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users