27 replies to this topic

#1 Nicsmini

Nicsmini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

Ive already been planning to convert my 12" 1994 Mini for a long time to 10" wheels, and I chose to go for the the rather popular combination of 4.5 Dunlop Lp 918s and Yokohama A032R 165/70 R10.

The problem is that when I turn corners the tyres will scrape the metal(only on one side) and on the other its just way to close. Ive heard that I can solve this problem by adjusting the tie rod ends. But will this really do the Job?Attached File  CD6AF9DD-67C5-4376-B88E-591CA15351E6.jpeg   68.24K   3 downloads

Edited by Nicsmini, 03 February 2018 - 10:12 AM.

#2 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:05 AM

What brakes do you now have with the 10" wheels?

#3 Nicsmini

Nicsmini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

I took off the old breaks, just to check if the wheels would fit. So currently there arent any breaks on at all apart from the old discs, which are still on.
Ive already got 7.5" Cooper S Brake Discs to fit later on.

#4 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

I took off the old breaks, just to check if the wheels would fit. So currently there arent any breaks on at all apart from the old discs, which are still on.

And ok, Thought you might have tried to use spacers to get round the issues of using smaller brakes. But the disk/flange spacing between the 7.5" and 8.4" is pretty similar. So it could be a bent tie bar pulling the wheel forward in the wheel arch, or a poorly replaced wing. If non of those you might get away with adding a large washer/shim behind the front teardrop/front panel (similar to what rover did on the sports packs), or as a last resort cutting and reforming the arch lip for clearance.

#5 Nicsmini

Nicsmini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:16 PM

And ok, Thought you might have tried to use spacers to get round the issues of using smaller brakes. But the disk/flange spacing between the 7.5" and 8.4" is pretty similar. So it could be a bent tie bar pulling the wheel forward in the wheel arch, or a poorly replaced wing. If non of those you might get away with adding a large washer/shim behind the front teardrop/front panel (similar to what rover did on the sports packs), or as a last resort cutting and reforming the arch lip for clearance.

Ill go for the shim/washer then. The wing is still original and the tie bars are all good too. Id definitely want to avoid cutting the panels. Isnt there anything i can do with the tie rods/bars? Or perhaps the suspension setup?

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:10 PM

Sounds like sagged suspension.

Don't go playing with tie bars etc if you don't have the settings written down so you know what is being changed.

Side on picture?

And I I keep saying every single mini I have had on 10s with 165/70 tyres have needed the front of the wing trimmed. As I had lowered every one.

#7 Nicsmini

Nicsmini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

Don't go playing with tie bars etc if you don't have the settings written down so you know what is being changed.

Side on picture?

And I I keep saying every single mini I have had on 10s with 165/70 tyres have needed the front of the wing trimmed. As I had lowered every one.

I had the standard rover rims on before, and everything was fine with the suspension(fitting wise). If I have to cut the wings, Id seriously think about the conversion. Do you know if other tyres would fix the problem?
Attached File  AEC46FAC-464E-412E-84A0-7DA856BA5812.jpeg   49.63K   3 downloads

#8 Nicsmini

Nicsmini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

Side on picture?

I had the standard rover rims on before, and everything was fine with the suspension(fitting wise). If I have to cut the wings, Id seriously think about the conversion. Do you know if other tyres would fix the problem?
Attached File  AEC46FAC-464E-412E-84A0-7DA856BA5812.jpeg   49.63K   3 downloads

#9 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:18 PM

Can you post a picture from the side of the whole wheel in the straight ahead position so we can see whether the gap around the wheel is even all the way around?

#10 JamesC

JamesC

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:50 PM

Just a thought.

Are they 4.5 wide? Or reverse rims?

I bought new Cooper S steel design (alloys) and they fit on my 7.5 disc set up with no problems. I believe if they are reverse rims they will have more dish and therefor will step out further and wont tuck in when turning the wheel.

James

#11 Nicsmini

Nicsmini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:28 AM

Just a thought.
I bought new Cooper S steel design (alloys) and they fit on my 7.5 disc set up with no problems. I believe if they are reverse rims they will have more dish and therefor will step out further and wont tuck in when turning the wheel.
James

Theyre 4,5 wide. Well at least thats whats written on themAttached File  9466BF37-DAB6-41F5-B5D8-D4FEC16D1BC9.jpeg   19.95K   4 downloads

#12 Nicsmini

Nicsmini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:11 PM

Can you post a picture from the side of the whole wheel in the straight ahead position so we can see whether the gap around the wheel is even all the way around?

Attached File  9B628818-10AD-4E05-AD3B-68E5CEF5E4D6.jpeg   50.68K   3 downloadsAttached File  9CDB4D86-1D5E-4C5E-B631-9996EF602836.jpeg   48.03K   2 downloadsAttached File  9B628818-10AD-4E05-AD3B-68E5CEF5E4D6.jpeg   50.68K   3 downloads
And the other side: Attached File  A8A1249A-8540-47B2-9E74-817F418DFF90.jpeg   53.27K   3 downloadsAttached File  0F7D7311-DCD5-4DEF-8653-CE9F661F537B.jpeg   50.07K   2 downloads
Hope this can help you help me 😅

Attached Files

#13 JamesC

JamesC

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:39 PM

Just a thought.
James

Theyre 4,5 wide. Well at least thats whats written on them 9466BF37-DAB6-41F5-B5D8-D4FEC16D1BC9.jpeg
Ok, they look like reverse rims. This means the offset is different to the original Cooper S steels. Do you plan on running arches?

I believe the offset of the wheels you have is ET16 (I think the original steels are ET35) This means the ET16 wheels stud holes are 16mm from the center line of the wheel, more ET means the stud face is closer the the outside of the wheel.

If you wanted to run archless take a look at my thread you can see the wheels I purchased.

http://www.theminifo...ownershipbuild/

James

Edited by JamesC, 04 February 2018 - 03:43 PM.

#14 Nicsmini

Nicsmini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:20 PM

Just a thought.
James

Theyre 4,5 wide. Well at least thats whats written on them 9466BF37-DAB6-41F5-B5D8-D4FEC16D1BC9.jpeg
Ok, they look like reverse rims. This means the offset is different to the original Cooper S steels. Do you plan on running arches?

I believe the offset of the wheels you have is ET16 (I think the original steels are ET35) This means the ET16 wheels stud holes are 16mm from the center line of the wheel, more ET means the stud face is closer the the outside of the wheel.

If you wanted to run archless take a look at my thread you can see the wheels I purchased.

James

Thanks James.
is their anything I can do to adjust the offset? Ill have a look at your thread a little closer later on..looks very good on first glance 😊👍

#15 JamesC

JamesC

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

Just a thought.
James

James
Thanks James.
is their anything I can do to adjust the offset? Ill have a look at your thread a little closer later on..looks very good on first glance 😊👍

Unfortunately the offset of a wheel is not adjustable as the stud face of the alloy if forged into the wheels design. The only adjustment possible is to step the wheel out using spacers but this will only make your problem worse.

If you are not using arches I recommend a set of these. https://www.minispor...lloy-wheel.html (I understand this may not be an option depending where you live in the world)

I hope this helps

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users