21 replies to this topic

#1 Chris M

Chris M

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:27 PM

I received 2 speeding fines in the post yesterday. Both taken place Saturday am & Sunday pm last week. One at 102 mph!
Thing is though it wasnt me. I live in Norfolk & these happened on the M62 up north.
The car that it is applied to is currently up for sale at the Volvo dealership that I work for & has sat on the forecourt for the last 3 weeks.
Its also on the companys website. I believe that my car has either been cloned or at least false plates made up & put into another car.
As you can all imagine its got me worried especially when it states I may to go to court if I cant prove it wasnt me to plead my case!
Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I can phone them tomorrow & discus it with the North Yorkshire police.

#2 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:31 PM

Sounds like someone's borrowed the Volvo for a dirty weekend away . Why is the car registered to you if it's on a dealer forecourt?

Merv

#3 Chris M

Chris M

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

Its on a kind of sale or return with me. Im going to have a company car but need to have mine sold to clear the finance.

#4 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:43 PM

Gotcha. Firstly I would 100% check that the car hasn't been borrowed. Then get a letter on headed paper that the car is in the trade and hasn't moved, possibly get a copy of cctv to prove it and you should be good to go. Very much worth putting a thread up on pepipoo or another speeding forum for good advice but as you haven't done anything wrong you Shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just stick to the facts. As shaggy said. It wasn't me

Merv

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:44 PM

Surely a forecourt has some sort of CCTV security?

#6 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:45 PM

phone police then it going have be reported stolen from the dealer and they will want cctv access to every who's got access be a right ball up then watch ya back, aint ya fault be it will be seen that way or ya job or take the points..... someone's got to take them according to the police...

its you or them

hope they got insurance as well if not ya going get done for that as well 6 points or its report it stolen get cctv first....

or see its been cloned phone the police back to square one

phone the police the only way forward

#7 Chris M

Chris M

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

Ca is still insured & taxed by me.

#8 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

Got to inform police at earliest opportunity that your plates may have been cloned. People do this all the time from forecourt cars.
Police will issue a crime report number.... you can then use that with dvsa.
Usually just a paper exercise and simple to remedy (I worked as a car sales man a while back)

Police dont have funding for burglary investigation let alone this type of thing so tend not to spend too much time on cases like this. I doubt youd be asked for cctv evidence etc.

Edited by Elf is a mini, 04 February 2018 - 06:02 PM.

#9 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:24 PM

I presume the car is advertised online? They will have had plates made up to suit their car, I'd imagine you'll be getting more fines soon :(

Defo Police time.

#10 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

Establish the facts first before you call the fuzz. Plenty of time to respond to the NIP

Merv

#11 Chris M

Chris M

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

Yes cat is advertised online & number plates on clear view!

#12 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

I still think it's more likely someone's borrowed it. Naughty mechanic or something? For your sake that would be easier as you'd just name them on the NIP. If it is a cloned plate then it's gonna drag on a bit. Either way keep us updated.

Merv

#13 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:58 PM

Surely a forecourt has some sort of CCTV security?

Thinking along the same lines. As surely it would be on cctv on the forecourt at the time of the speeding offences? And the same car can't be in two places at once.

#14 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

This has happened recently to one of our guys at work. He was on site with another guy north of Leeds at around 9am in the morning yet has supposedly been caught doing 92mph on the M6 south of Coventry at about 10:30am

Obviously a cloned plate.

He has sent a statement written by our colleague who was with him to say that they were over 100 miles away, a copy of the fire register he had to sign at the customer they were visiting to show he was there (they have asked for CCTV but haven't got it yet) and work has had to report it to the police.

He got a letter this week saying basically he doesn't have to attend court anymore and no further action will be taken against him. Fortunately for him the vehicle is not his so it is not his responsibility to provide the details of who was driving although all of this has only come to light after our accounts department, who sort the vehicles out, told the DVSA that my colleague was driving without checking it first with him.

Send them a letter saying that you acknowledge receipt of the NIP, state that your car was on a forecourt and that you were not driving it, state that you don't know who was driving and then ask for photographic evidence so as to aid you in identifying the driver.

A family friend had to do something similar years ago after they got a London Congestion Zone fine... for their combine harvester.

#15 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

Who's got the keys to it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users