Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:09 AM

Hi 

I am new on here..

I am slowly rebuilding my 1275GT and want this to be as original as possible. Problem is there is so much rust... I have got nearly all new panels now for the body work and the car is upside down with a large amount of rusted areas removed. 

I have to replace the front slam panel due to rust. The issue is there is a welded plate attached to this area that identifies the body number of the car. This plate is rusted so bad its not possible to identify what was originally stamped here. I have the V5, commission No and Vin No

Can anyone advise what would have been stamped here? Is it simply the same commission number or Vin No?? 

Thanks

#2 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:52 AM

I believe that welded plate on the slam panel is just a body number used in the factory. If you have the VIN number, just get a new VIN plate made up when the restoration is complete. The VIN number should also be stamped in the centre of the bonnet lip on the scuttle, (unless of course you are replacing that as well).

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:07 PM

The VIN number should also be stamped in the centre of the bonnet lip on the scuttle,.

Not on a 1275GT as it is too old.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

Not sure when the bonnet scuttle lip stamping actually started but I had a 1981 Mini with the number stamped.....so a late 1980 1275GT might have the number stamped?

#5 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:16 AM

It's the body number tag which is a different number to the commission and chassis number.

#6 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

I'd do something sneaky like stamp my date of birth on it within the correct font and format, good secret to keep if it ever got stolen and turned up on ebay with a new V5 that many people are happy to purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users