Photo
- - - - -

Does The Temperature Gauge - Read The Outside Temperature?!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

Ok I know it doesnt but in an A series is it overly affected by the ambient temprature?

I warmed both my minis up yesterday, and took them each out for a 20min drive and both temp gauges hardly moved, despite top hose feeling very warm.  It was dry but cold outside.   Last time I did a longish run in cool weather, i noticed then that gauge hadnt moved much.

So is this normal at this time of year, or should the gauge get up near the middle?  Or is it only when your hammering down a motorway on a hot August day, then hit a traffic jam, that the gauge springs into life, just before the engine boils over?  Or am I just getting too used to modern cars where the temp gauge reaches normal very quickly and doesnt budge, compared to the temperamental little beasts that we all have so much affection for?

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

Modern cars have dumbed down temperature gauges which rapidly climb to normal (low water content engines for more efficient warm up/economy) and sit there without fluctuating over a wide range of temperatures within the safe allowed range. This is done in order not to worry modern drivers with too much information that they would not understand! Many cars don't even have a temp gauge anymore and only warn the driver with a message to stop or visit the workshop if there is a problem.

Minis can be over cooled in the winter because the mechanical fan is constantly running (except on MPi's) and/or because the wrong thermosat is fitted. There used to be a choice of winter and summer themostats available but few people seem to bother swapping nowadays.

Edited by mab01uk, 05 February 2018 - 01:38 PM.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,377 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:23 PM

It might be worth checking your thermostat function, warm top hose suggests it's open. The engine will take longer to warm up as the heat that's lost, excluding what the thermostat controls going through the radiator, is greater. If the thermostat is ok, you could look at masking off part of the grille to aid warm up. Just be wary of putting yourself where it could overheat without the opportunity to remove your "lagging" - i.e. stuck in a motorway traffic jam. 

#4 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:54 PM

They do take longer to warm up in cold weather, at the moment I need about 5 miles before temp gauge is approaching normal and this is in traffic.

If you're running the car heater fan then it is possible you won't get up to temperature, as a lot of the heat is keeping you warm(ish).

When I was running a Clubman Estate as daily driver I used to put a large piece of 3-ply behind the grille in Oct/Nov and would stay there until late March. This helped on cold mornings to get at least some warmth out of the heater.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:38 PM

The low end (start) of the temp gauge is around 50 - 600, so it won't register until the temp gets up to that.

And, with a By-pass (of what ever type) fitted, if it's cold outside, it won't warm up.

#6 Mini ManannĂ¡n

Mini ManannĂ¡n

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

The low end (start) of the temp gauge is around 50 - 600, so it won't register until the temp gets up to that.

And, with a By-pass (of what ever type) fitted, if it's cold outside, it won't warm up.

Chris, you must do us a step-by-step guide to getting rid of the bypass hose. Please!

#7 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

Just an update on this, I changed the sensor and car is now reading normal temp, bang on the white line. 

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

The electrical temp gauges are notoriousle inaccurate.

A lot of owners fir the capilliary-type gauge which gives an accurate reading in degs C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users