Photo

Is The 'new' Mini (R50/53) Already A Modern Classic?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,800 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:36 PM

From Goodwood Website:

Dan Trent: Is the 'new' Mini (R50/53) already a modern classic?

https://www.goodwood...modern-classic/

Edited by mab01uk, 07 February 2018 - 08:39 PM.

#2 landsurveyor

landsurveyor

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Local Club: Jurassic Coast Mini Club

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

I hope so as i have just bought an "early" R53 for not a lot of money. Sits along side my proper minis nicely!
Shame the MINI forums arent as friendly as this one!!

#3 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:15 PM

"No"

Merv

#4 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

What's a classic?  Age old question.  But, I do think the early MINIs have something about them.  There's already a Y-reg register of course and I think they're very worthy cars.  I've never owned one, but this will change very soon!

I do struggle with anything that came after them though.  Modern MINIs look ugly, bloated and could be anything from a Nissan to a Kia.  How they even have the front to put the word 'mini' on them is beyond me!

#5 cooperdan

cooperdan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

Ha.. yeh alright nice one

#6 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

Badly made and unreliable so tick 2 of the classic car boxes already.

#7 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:35 AM

The original new one is massively bloated, but now with time they look much much better because you see fewer of those and more of the ridiculously bloated new ones.  Perhaps in another 10 years they'll have a bit more appeal.

Honestly though the biggest issue I would have is that they all have faded grey plastic arch lips and bumper bits that look absolutely terrible.

#8 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

They're just starting to go rusty as well (more so, after this winters road salt) so there's a third box ticked. :proud:

#9 miniadventure

miniadventure

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

I think the GP editions will, but not yet a few more years are needed until they become a modern classic. If you have never driven one, you should take the opportunity.

#10 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:54 AM

No....just no

#11 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,800 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

No....just no

When I was taking my Mk1 Mini to classic car shows in the late 1970's most other classic car enthusiasts were also telling me the common old Mini would never become a classic... as before time will tell who is right. :lol:

#12 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

The GP editions are already worth quite a lot of money, but the more normal models are no-where near classic status yet.

The Cooper model was abit of a joke, only really there so they could sell an even more basic model as well as the actually sporty Cooper S.

#13 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:40 PM

I don't think they're a modern classic.

I'd say they're quirky and have a reasonable following, maybe even a cult following. But I wouldn't personally deem them to be a modern classic.

I've got from detesting them, to actually considering buying one as a fun daily.

#14 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

Depending on the model I think they're currently at rock bottom of the curve. They will climb from here on in, and they are getting a lot of coverage as modern classics.

I recently bought a 2002 Cooper JCW* that was deemed a none runner and destined for a breaker no doubt. Dirt cheap, high miles, but a full service history, and a new aux drive belt & a sidelight got it through an MOT without so much as an advisory. Needs a tidy up but in a few years time this will likely be the rarest of the MINI models, so hopefully worth a few pennies more. It's great to drive, not exactly a rocket, but huge fun. Pleased to be back in one, & having it sitting next to my Sidewalk & Elf.

* Yes they do exist, and no I don't mean a Cooper with a body kit. Before the Cooper S was released JCW issued a kit for the Cooper that took it to 130bhp. This kit was circa £2700 so didn't sell well, and was discontinued when the MCS was released. This is what I bought.  Exact number seem to be hard to come by, but I've only ever seen half a dozen of these conversions. A second much more common JCW kit appeared for the Cooper, known as the Soundkit, much later in the cycle.

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:22 PM

They're just starting to go rusty as well (more so, after this winters road salt) so there's a third box ticked. :proud:

More so than ours - True they'll never surpass the original in eagerness to rot, but from my limited observations they have many more expensive bits that go crumbly, which would really hurt your wallet to keep one going long enough to be an indisputable classic.

The actual question is easy to answer - when demand outstrips supply and the cost of buying one goes up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users