#1 jamiejme

jamiejme

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:25 PM

A couple of warnings before you read:
I'm very new to the mini scene...I'm 20 now and this is my first legally owned car; I'm not too farmiliar with the mechanical workings as much as I'd like to be.

Also, this is a bit of story so try to stay with me. (Thanks to anyone who makes it through :) )

So onto the story...a couple of months ago now, I started experienced a squealing fan belt, this mainly occurred when I loaded the alternrator with lights/heater etc. I tightened the fan belt but this created another problem. After 'fixing' the squeal, I began hearing a knocking noise near the fan and belt. This knocking would increase in frequency with revs. Later on the squealing would return but more subdued.

Recently the problem (I assume it is related) culminated in a breakdown on the sliproad of the M1 late at night. That morning the car wouldn't start because the battery had died, it ran after bump starting. After bump starting the start my journey, my engine cut out on the M1 when I activated a few lights (main beam, indicator, heater etc.)

I now have a new battery (wrong shape) wired in series to the old battery. The car starts but the battery does not seem to be charging as i had to fully recharge when the car failed to start.

Due to all this, I was wondering whether it was all related. belt slipping/faulty alternator/another bad battery.

Honestly I'm stumped and would rather fix this myself than pay mechanic prices.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank anyone again who managed to reach the end!

#2 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

I hope you haven't put the batteries in series. That would mean ~24V going to a car designed to run on 12V.

#3 jamiejme

jamiejme

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

I hope you haven't put the batteries in series. That would mean ~24V going to a car designed to run on 12V.

Oh no sorry I didn't make it clear. The old battery died and was not holding enough charge to get me home from the M1, so I used jump leads and a new battery to get me home. It has remained unconnected ever since while I figure out the problem.

Edited by jamiejme, 08 February 2018 - 05:40 PM.

#4 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

Phew! As long as both batteries weren't connected at the same time. Unless in parallel.

The knocking could have been the alternator bearings seizing up, and thus the belt slipping to make a squealing noise.

I'd turn the pulley on the alternator by hand to check for stiffness/roughness. If so, there's your problem.

#5 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

Or it could simply be a very loose alternator belt flapping around squealing and knocking.

#6 jamiejme

jamiejme

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

Alright I'll give it a go! Thanks for your help!

#7 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:13 PM

get a pry bar / crow bar about 18" 24"long

slacken all nuts and bolts and one underneath the alternator used wd40/plus gas or summit first and a quick spray in side the alternator ..

change fan belt / check for damage ect

put fan belt back on lined up with pry bar behind the alternator and in front of engine block at the top and take the slack out of the belt, tighten all bolts finger tight..

push the pry bar so that the belt goes very tight , then tighten all bolts while the pry bar is keeping the belt tight ...help of a friend would be good..

recheck bolts are all tight..

recheck next night all bolts are tight and belt has not gone slack - if its moved redo and recheck

recheck next weekend all bolts are tight and belt has not gone slack - if its moved redo and recheck

rechecking is important if you don't want it breaking down if ya not sure ask some one to look at it or pop in a old school garage or join a decent club.

keep a spare belt in the boot an join the aa/rac and if it ever breaks they will fit it for you ....if they don't have the part nought they can so.....and minis are getting on now so they don't carry parts for em no more :(

#8 jamiejme

jamiejme

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

get a pry bar / crow bar about 18" 24"long

slacken all nuts and bolts and one underneath the alternator used wd40/plus gas or summit first and a quick spray in side the alternator ..

change fan belt / check for damage ect

put fan belt back on lined up with pry bar behind the alternator and in front of engine block at the top and take the slack out of the belt, tighten all bolts finger tight..

push the pry bar so that the belt goes very tight , then tighten all bolts while the pry bar is keeping the belt tight ...help of a friend would be good..

recheck bolts are all tight..

recheck next night all bolts are tight and belt has not gone slack - if its moved redo and recheck

recheck next weekend all bolts are tight and belt has not gone slack - if its moved redo and recheck

rechecking is important if you don't want it breaking down if ya not sure ask some one to look at it or pop in a old school garage or join a decent club.

keep a spare belt in the boot an join the aa/rac and if it ever breaks they will fit it for you ....if they don't have the part nought they can so.....and minis are getting on now so they don't carry parts for em no more :(

So I've wired in the new battery and charged the old one for a spare. 

After inspecting the alternator, I did notice that as you turned it by hand, there were areas where it became more resistant and difficult to turn. I suspect this has been from the use of belt dressing at one point (which is very sticky).

The belt also seemed loose. I tried tightening it by prying the alternator out (without fully taking it off) and it didn't make it any tighter. 

At this point I'm considering an entirely new alternator and belt but I'm also wondering whether the alternator is still salvageable or whether belt dressing has ruined it and I need to fork out.

Thanks again for your help!

#9 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:50 PM

Have you done any checks with a voltmeter to see if the current alternator is doing it's job and charging the battery?  An entry level voltmeter is, for me at least, one of the best tools you'll buy during you're mini ownership.

https://www.yourmech...ur-alternator_2

https://www.familyha...nator/view-all/

#10 jamiejme

jamiejme

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

Have you done any checks with a voltmeter to see if the current alternator is doing it's job and charging the battery?  An entry level voltmeter is, for me at least, one of the best tools you'll buy during you're mini ownership.

https://www.yourmech...ur-alternator_2

https://www.familyha...nator/view-all/

Yeah I'll give that a go, any way to save money.

Thanks for your help!

#11 castle_grey_skull

castle_grey_skull

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:02 AM

A couple of warnings before you read:
I'm very new to the mini scene...I'm 20 now and this is my first legally owned car; I'm not too farmiliar with the mechanical workings as much as I'd like to be.

Also, this is a bit of story so try to stay with me. (Thanks to anyone who makes it through :) )

So onto the story...a couple of months ago now, I started experienced a squealing fan belt, this mainly occurred when I loaded the alternrator with lights/heater etc. I tightened the fan belt but this created another problem. After 'fixing' the squeal, I began hearing a knocking noise near the fan and belt. This knocking would increase in frequency with revs. Later on the squealing would return but more subdued.

Recently the problem (I assume it is related) culminated in a breakdown on the sliproad of the M1 late at night. That morning the car wouldn't start because the battery had died, it ran after bump starting. After bump starting the start my journey, my engine cut out on the M1 when I activated a few lights (main beam, indicator, heater etc.)

I now have a new battery (wrong shape) wired in series to the old battery. The car starts but the battery does not seem to be charging as i had to fully recharge when the car failed to start.

Due to all this, I was wondering whether it was all related. belt slipping/faulty alternator/another bad battery.

Honestly I'm stumped and would rather fix this myself than pay mechanic prices.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank anyone again who managed to reach the end!

It sounds to me that what you have here is a classic case of a sticky bearing on your alternator. you said that you used belt dressing in a later reply. now don't think I'm being funny but as your young and a bit of a novice, I assume you used a metric ton! Consequently, you've probably clogged up the alternator completely. If you have the money and time, replace the alternator and belt with new ones but keep the old and clean it to an inch of its life. this way you get experience working on your car and parts, also by the end if you do a good job you'll have a spare alternator just in case. 

Another course of action would be to sell the car and let someone else worry about it. I know a guy in Sheffield that very interested in classic minis and will take it off your hands!

Hope this helps. 

#12 jamiejme

jamiejme

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:06 PM

Thanks to everyone for your help! I've replaced the alternator and belt (the old one was incredibly worn) and now it works fine. Problem solved!

#13 mina08

mina08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:10 AM

Happy Days

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users