#1 Mudhen

Mudhen

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:54 PM

Hey guys,

I was looking around at rally Minis and wondering about this car at Sussex Sports Cars:

http://www.sussexspo...978-rally-mini/

Question - in your expert opinions does this have too much history to take out and actually use?

I've been watching the '80 on my rotisserie for 5 years now not completing itself so have started to use my '05 instead.  Now thinking about selling the '05 and getting back to what I'd intended all along...

Thanks,

Pat

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

too expensive and just a rally car.

I bet it had a roversport shell or two in its life so far.

#3 Mudhen

Mudhen

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

What do you suppose it's worth?

I'd really like this one but it's not old enough yet:  https://www.carandcl....uk/car/C626955

And by the way you say, 'just a rally car' I'm guessing any of them will be worth more to me than you.  :-)

They don't seem to be falling from the trees.  Heck, over here I think I know of 1 - 30k pounds.  Definitely can't afford that!

#4 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Nothing has 'too much history' unless it's a genuine 60's Monte car.....but that will probably have had a few shells too.

This one looks to be a different shell i'm thinking......but so what.

It's nice that's it's got the history (or at least the number plate, cage and glass has) but that would not deter me from thrashing it.....it's hardly a show car.

Question is this really......do you really want to rally a mini?  If you do, would you not be better buying an older 'historic' one and being against cars of a similar era from a technical standpoint?....more modern mini's are against quick hot hatches and in all fairness, they are quicker and stronger and cheaper.

Seems a fair chunk of cash to me and certainly something could be built cheaper, but without the 'history'.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

interesting that you bring this one up- let us take just one thing on both cars. the pedal box and Brakes MC. the 96 car has the brakes from an 80-88 car and the 78 car has the brakes from an 88 on car.

and when I say just a rally car. it aint anything special but yes you could not build it for that price now but the shell and part would have been peanuts. IIRC the Motorsport shells with doors boot and bonnet were available for just 1000 pounds.

#6 Mudhen

Mudhen

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:06 PM

Thanks guys - I appreciate this discussion!

I've wanted to rally a Mini since I was a kid...and over here in the US there are no historic classes or anything like that.  I'll be lumped into the general population.  Doing it for myself...and for doing it in a Mini.  And in all honesty most of the time the car would be used for rallyx (I think you guys call them auto tests?  Big gravel areas, one car at a time) and maybe some rallysprints (40-50 stage miles).  There are only two real rallies within 7 hours from me...the rest are 1k miles or more...maybe when the kids are grown!

#7 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

Thanks guys - I appreciate this discussion!

I've wanted to rally a Mini since I was a kid...and over here in the US there are no historic classes or anything like that.  I'll be lumped into the general population.  Doing it for myself...and for doing it in a Mini.  And in all honesty most of the time the car would be used for rallyx (I think you guys call them auto tests?  Big gravel areas, one car at a time) and maybe some rallysprints (40-50 stage miles).  There are only two real rallies within 7 hours from me...the rest are 1k miles or more...maybe when the kids are grown!

I think ultimately do what you feel is right.

For rallyx a mini sounds ideal and anything where a nimble car excels the mini will run rings around yank tanks.

As for the value issue.....i'm assuming you'll need to be adding a few dollars in shipping so that's gotta be a factor too.

FYI - that blue one at £19K has been for sale for quite some time (2 years maybe) so a deal might be on the cards.

Best of luck with the purchase or build....which ever way you choose.

#8 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:34 PM

What about this little fella????

https://www.ebay.co....pEAAOSw-4Rabf5V

Even has the steering wheel on the wrong side.

#9 Mudhen

Mudhen

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

What about this little fella????

https://www.ebay.co....pEAAOSw-4Rabf5V

Even has the steering wheel on the wrong side.

"We can convert the car to RHD if required for 700€, this would take around a week as new parts will have to be ordered."

How about you leave the wheel where it is, give me 700e and we'll call it even... :-)

Gorgeous.  Now that car would certainly be a shame to bring to the states if it could fit into real historic classes over there...no?  Or maybe most do at this point anyway.

I spoke with the seller for the '96 last year.  But the US won't allow that car here - thought I could get away with the 5 year race car import, and by the end it would be 25 years and legal.  No deals - once a race car, always a race car.  Would need to export it or crush it.

Edited by Mudhen, 09 February 2018 - 04:54 PM.

#10 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

Nothing has 'too much history' unless it's a genuine 60's Monte car.....but that will probably have had a few shells too.

This one looks to be a different shell i'm thinking......but so what.

It's nice that's it's got the history (or at least the number plate, cage and glass has) but that would not deter me from thrashing it.....it's hardly a show car.

Question is this really......do you really want to rally a mini?  If you do, would you not be better buying an older 'historic' one and being against cars of a similar era from a technical standpoint?....more modern mini's are against quick hot hatches and in all fairness, they are quicker and stronger and cheaper.

Seems a fair chunk of cash to me and certainly something could be built cheaper, but without the 'history'.

i agree!

#11 Mudhen

Mudhen

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

They sent me a very nice leaflet from the Bonhams auction where it was sold at the Goodwood Revival.  And how it was the last Mini to enter a WRC event.

I was very excited until I realized that it wasn't even this car - it was WNR 30S.  They almost had me!

I do see a pic of it in 'The Last Works Minis' but no real details about it.  Might go check it out when we're over in April...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users