#1 Lukie-J

Lukie-J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon Mini Club

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:53 PM

Now don't get me wrong, I am definitely a classic mini enthusiast. I've owned 3 (and a scamp) but HAD to sell my storm grey 1293 Mayfair - that I'd owned for 8 years - a few years ago because I bought a house without a garage and couldn't face leaving it out in the weather. I then had an MX5 S-VT for 2 years before starting a family and needing 4 seats at the beginning of the year. I've since bought an Alfa 159 4 weeks ago and found that, despite 2.4 litres, a turbo and a remapped 250bhp, I am not really a 'big car' person. We have a leon as a properly family car, it's literally just the extra seats I need on the odd occasion that I need to take the child out. What matters to me is 'smiles per £' and the first MINI cooper S looks like it might fit the bill. Around the 2k mark, small, characterful, decent bhp and a 'charger sound like great fun. Am I being a traitor!?
My brother-in-law has a 220bhp tuned jcw and that was a right hoot to drive. I think. I'm sold already... Just feel like I'm cheating on my old faithful Mayfair...

#2 cooperdan

cooperdan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:04 PM

No need to ask for our views, if want it then get it.

#3 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:08 PM

I have the ultimate classic mini sin
A MINI diesel. I dont really consider it any comparison to do with my mini city. My reason for purchasing it was.
It not just another hatchback, the latest focus/megane/Astra all look identical and I think the MINI is better looking than the competition.
Holds its value a lot better than the rest and even when you see a clean 2003 MINI driving about it still looks good/deseriable.. a clean 2003 Astra looks old and dated.

Thats my 2p worth. Love my mini and my MINI but really dont consider them related

#4 bae1994

bae1994

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:35 PM

See I like both but always thought as them as a very different car, untill I saw a old Mustang and a new Mustang together at a show and realised it's virtually the same thing with the mini.

However I'd be careful with the superchargers on them as I believe some models have horrible service intervals.

#5 Jamdog

Jamdog

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Local Club: 998

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:24 PM

The new mini clubman and countryman / fake SUV models are, of course hideous and completely unacceptable for anyone who likes cars / has eyes / has a conscience to own.

With that out of the way, the new mini hatchbacks are very nice and much cooler than your average corsa/Clio/Astra. The JCW ones are actually seriously rapid and a hoot to drive. As much as people moaned when the old mini went out of production, the new mini is a much better car in basically every way, just wih a bit less charachter

#6 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:03 AM

Long term mini fan, having had a number over the years, but also have a cooper SD as my daily and a GP1 keeping the pickup company in the garage :)

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:21 AM

The BMW Mini (BINI) is a great modern car, but it is not a classic car in any sense. Thus it should not and cannot be compared with a classic Mini, or any other classic car.

If comparing a BINI with a Mini, you might as well compare a Morris Minor with a BMW 7-Series.

#8 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

The MINI is not a mini but it's a cracking little car. I'm not a big car man either. I kick around everyday in MINI/Bini copper s, and before that, a MINI/Bini cooper.

They've been brilliant cars, good handling, quick (well the s), reliable, and do everything a daily should.

I still have a classic mini (down to 1 now, I sold another and put cash towards the Bini s). Am I traitor? Other people may think so, but who gives a monkeys what they think.

If the classic has to go, and it might as I'm getting bored with maintaining a deteriorating asset, then I'll keep my bini Cooper s. However, it'll just be a very good, fun, little car - it'll never be a mini and wouldn't dream of taking it to a mini show or L2B.

#9 Haygate

Haygate

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

My wifes pushing me for a mini clubman and I have to say, I actually quite like it and would suit her commute to work and taking kids and dog out etc, I also fancy a cheap r53 to play with on rainy days so I guess Im a fan of the new mini and have enjoyed driving them when I have.

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:57 AM

From Goodwood Website:

Dan Trent: Is the 'new' Mini (R50/53) already a modern classic?

https://www.goodwood...modern-classic/

Recent TMF thread here:-

http://www.theminifo...modern-classic/

Proof Bini's Can Look Cool!

63 page thread here:-

http://www.theminifo...ok-cool/page-63

Edited by mab01uk, 11 February 2018 - 10:00 AM.

#11 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:01 AM

I like the the r56 clubman the newest one im not so keen on. The thing some people forget is the r53 mini was a rover design! So all the bmw killed mini haters need to learn the facts that rover was about to kill off the mini and reinvent it themselves. Bmw probably saved the brand name as rover would of done to the mini name what they did to mg! MINIs are a great brand now as far as modern car sales go. Is it the same brand its was, clearly not. Is it better than being a forgotten name? Yes. And due to its reivention has probably increased interest and value in older minis too. Id own a MINI happily. I keep trying to covince the mrs we need shot of our mazda 3 for a MINI clubman.

#12 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

who cares, the whole of the modern car industry is messed up anyway.

what really annoys me is the obvious and sheepish way that other car manufacturers manage to sell their cars by copying the two tone colour scheme of the MINI cooper. its got so stupid now that we have have ford fiestas going around with contrasting roofs and wing mirrors. the new boy racer fiesta seems to be the black ones with the red roof and mirrors. these look totally pathetic and i would be embarrassed to be seen in one, along with all the mid life crisis ford ST cars and the Audi's.

in fact my father in law, who is nearly 70, is currently driving around in some VW golf R thing that is blue with silver wing mirrors !!!??? just looks stupid, like someone messed up in the paint shop. and yes it does have a leather bound shirt button instead of a steering wheel.

there is no doubt that the MINI is a popular car, but its not a mini.

Edited by THE ANORAK, 11 February 2018 - 01:00 PM.

#13 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

I personally like the new mini, they are different from other cars on the road and they also have that personality that you can customise like our old minis.

My girlfriend has got a bright orange f56 one that's the diesel SD. It's fast and comfortable, drives well and has a suspension ride that feels similar to my mini. I've even paid to be insured on it this year so I can try and drive it more I like it that much :)

Plus we can take photos together :)
39305024865_1e5ce4a016_c.jpgIMG_2212 by Lawrence Balls, on Flickr

#14 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:06 PM

Although a tad expensive for what they are, they still are great cars. Dont mind the gate the bini gets of some narrow minded classic owners. They'll catch up with the modern world eventualy.

#15 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

My wife drives a R56 Clubman One D. Plenty of legroom in the Clubman for adults in the back and the 3rd door for access. Fold down the seats and plenty of luggage space. It drives great and is cheap to run. Its not a mini but but for me its the best car in its class with loads of style.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users