95 replies to this topic

#61 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

I have owned 8 New MINI's since they were launched in 2001 up until last month when I traded my F56 JCW for an Audi, due to the need to carry grandchildren and my daughters wheelchair.

As has been previously mentioned it is not a fair comparison between Classic and New MINI as other than initially sharing a similar  shape (R53) and being front wheel drive, the New Mini is a modern car with all the luxuries and safety features we expect these days.

I took my 231 BHP JCW on the Top Gear track last year and was following a Classic Mini Sprint with a 1293 engine in it, there was very little difference in acceleration and cornering but the suspension and braking was the main difference with the JCW able to cope with the bumps better under braking and did not suffer from any brake fade.

I am a fan of both Mini and MINI but my option recently was either trade in the JCW or sell my GT, needless to say I still have my GT.

#62 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

Bought a band new F56 JCW three door two and half years ago. Goes like stink and is a lovely car to drive.

Sits nicely on the drive with the Mini 35. I wouldn't sell either of them.

Edited by DeanP, 26 February 2018 - 08:34 PM.

#63 Lukie-J

Lukie-J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon Mini Club

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

If I had a garage, I'd have my old grey Mayfair back in a second. I think the r53 would be a good compromise and maybe scratch the itch for me. Nobody seems to have anything bad to say about them, apart from that they're not a classic, which I agree with. Glad this topic stayed opened as it is an interesting discussion to have.

#64 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

Future Classic Friday: R50/53 BMW MINI

"So, emotions aside, is the R50/53 BMW MINI now a bona fide classic? Well, it's a car that has won hearts and minds, many of which belong to people too young to remember the passionate demise of MG Rover or the original Mini ever being sold as a new car. It's a terrific car to drive, with handling that, even today, is nigh on imposible to better. It has a huge following of enthusiastic owners, many of whom give their cars a name. Controversial, maybe. But a classic? Yes. Hands-down."

https://classics.hon...riday-bmw-mini/

Edited by mab01uk, 27 February 2018 - 06:23 PM.

#65 paul748

paul748

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:36 AM

Previously I was also of the opinion "that's not a real mini" and indeed they are different in many ways...bigger, heavier, airbags, ABS etc etc. But they are great cars in their own right.

I think the 1st gen MINIS  kept several design cues and quirks from classic. To be able to perform any reasonable maintenance tasks the whole front end has to be pulled off into 'front end service mode' :lol: . This is not vastly different from having to remove the classic's front grille to access most things. But of course takes a bit longer!

They also designed in the classic oil leaks, apparently the most common one being the crank position sensor O ring. Costs about 3 quid but is a pig to access!

IMO they are fantastic little cars, especially the Cooper S version. 170 BHP put of the box, great fun!

We recently bought this to replace the wife's Ford Puma....

SuNFPHP.jpg

This one will be keeping the garage space though...

NqXY5MX.jpg

Edited by paul748, 04 March 2018 - 11:43 AM.

#66 Newtfish

Newtfish

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

I don't own a Classic Mini, always been the dream and will become a reality.

I couldn't bare to get one that had to sit outside all the time, but now I have a house with a garage my hunt will be on once I have the funds in place. Because I wouldn't leave one outside I ended up getting a R56 Cooper S and I must say it hasn't been a disappointment at all. Lots of fun to drive, comfortable, reliable and pretty cheap to run. 

Danny 

#67 Lukie-J

Lukie-J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

Slight revival here - taken a while as it took aaaaages to sell my Alfa!
Here's Lady Eileen (named after its first owner, a genuine 'lady')
Full BMW service history
Supercharged
Flicking fantastic!
I know it's not a proper mini, but I still look at it differently to any other non-mini car. It has character and cost less than what I sold my old Mayfair for!

#68 Lukie-J

Lukie-J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

Struggling to upload it the right way up despite rotating the image for some reason!

po97o3H.jpg

Edited by Lukie-J, 02 July 2018 - 07:22 PM.

#69 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:23 PM

[quote name="Lukie-J" post="3547580" timestamp="1530558770"]Struggling to upload it the right way up despite rotating the image for some reason![/quote

I had a go for you :)
Attached File  6692111A-04A3-4A1D-85E3-66527851E24C.jpeg   93.12K   0 downloads

Edited by mm man, 02 July 2018 - 07:25 PM.

#70 Lukie-J

Lukie-J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:31 PM

[quote name="Lukie-J" post="3547580" timestamp="1530558770"]Struggling to upload it the right way up despite rotating the image for some reason![/quote

I had a go for you :)

Cheers, got it in the end. The forum uploader kept rotating it so had to find my password for my imgur account!

#71 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

Nice

#72 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:49 PM

The wife had a R53 Cooper S, we bought it a few years back.  I found it easy to work on and maintain and a cracking drive, great fun and reminded me of an R5GTT.  I would recommend one and now they are a cheap motor, they have to be worth a go.  Im sure Practical Classics did a piece on them recently.

She's currently looking at a Countryman Cooper S, had one out yesterday (although it was the PHEV) and we were impressed.  It will never replace my 1275GT that is currently awaiting restoration (primarily because it won't fit in the garage!) but BMW have certainly kept the brand and done a good job with it.

#73 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

Its love or hate.

My mate has had a R53 JCW, nice enough but very uncomfortable over a long distance especially if there are three of you in the car!! My knees would have been through the dash.

He has now bought a GP that was accident damaged. Nice car, goes like stink but two seats only!!! Oh and its blown its heater matrix just like a classic.

Would i buy one, no would be the answer. They are what they are and i have to say for me events like the L2B should be classics only. That was the whole point of it. Any modern Mini can handle that journey with ease, classics not so.

#74 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:05 PM

If you get a Deutschland mini just put bmw badges on it and all will be forgiven.

#75 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:21 PM

New Episode of Wheeler Dealers - 2004 R53 Mini Cooper S MC40

"Mike tracks down one of only 1000 MC40s ever produced, the 40th anniversary homage to the Monte Carlo rally-winning British icon. Ant tackles the dreaded 100,000 mile service including the supercharger, while restoring its original ride height and signature look."

https://twitter.com/...0185856?lang=en

gpMTvL6l.jpg

Also 'Modern Classics' magazine below has a feature this month (July issue) on driving & buying an early R53 supercharged MINI Cooper S before the majority of them get to the cheap ragged and written off stage, it suggests £3500 will buy a concours example which should start to appreciate over the next few years if maintained and looked after.

SUPER CHARGER
"Forget the familiar styling and ignore the bonnet badge - the supercharged R53 Cooper S is a Mini like no other"
https://www.moderncl...log/v8firepower

I68t5Dn.png

uSXqgol.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users