Photo

Genuine 1987 Mini Advantage - Just Acquired.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Loopyladsmini

Loopyladsmini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:20 PM

Greetings one and all.  I've acquired a 1987 Mini Advantage and I want to keep it as original as possible.  I used to own an Advantage in my "youth" so decided, as I approach 40 at an ever increasing pace, that it was time again to re-live the Mini dream.

It's quite untouched, I've included some pictures to this post to show you how quite original it is.

It has been really well looked after and it's had a bit of work done in the past.  Looking under the rear seat today though, there is a couple of severe rust spots where the under seat meets the storage boxes - do i need to worry about these?  Could I "Fill" these in if they are not a structural issue? (I've no welding experience or know-how).

I've learnt so much already from this forum and Youtube - looking forward to the years of Mini adventures that lie ahead.

Attached Files

#2 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:19 PM

will need welding mate, will fail mot, its near a suspension pick up point.

Ive a mini advantage too, its a project car, can you take me some more pics of your car please? engine and just general pics? Be really interested if you would not mind! thankyou

#3 Loopyladsmini

Loopyladsmini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

Hi @avtovaz . Strangely it's just passed it's MOT!

Sure I can send you loads of pics, like I say it's quite untouched so you'll be able to get quite a few points of reference. Let me know of any specific areas you'd like to see.

#4 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:59 PM

Very nice car.  I'm not sure why, but that era of Mini was really, really bad for rust.  The fact yours is still here is amazing in itself!  Those grot spots need attention; it's a flat area and simple for someone who can weld properly but please have the rot completely cut out first- and paint it on both sides when it's welded.

The MoT tester probably missed it.  I'll say having holes here is not a problem structurally, but it does fall within 'prescribed areas' as far as the MoT goes, so should be fixed.

#5 Loopyladsmini

Loopyladsmini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for your advice Boycie and Avtovaz.  I'll save up some mula and get it sorted properly.  Hoping that's the only major bit the MOT folks "missed".

#6 hichamaziz

hichamaziz

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:36 PM

so incredible corrosion 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users