18 replies to this topic

#1 JonC

JonC

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:28 PM

Bit of an odd one. Friend has a very very rotten mk1 car, it's *******, roof is bizarrely about the only thing that hasn't got massive holes or vanished through rusting, front end is destroyed. Engine might be OK it's been kept sealed up plugs in, filler cap on. It has a nice local presuffix plate. 1) Can I buy the wreck and put the plate on another car legally some how? 2) is the roof and possibly engine worth anything? 3) if I go mad and buy the wreck can it be reshelled with a mk1 heritage shell and then legally keep the wrecks identity?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:29 PM

1 no that is ringing.

2 might be.

3 yes with a brand new shell.

#3 JonC

JonC

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

Thanks Nick (again) with regards 1) I really meant can I transfer the plate legally to say my Mrs audi? I seem to remember you used to have to get the supplying car up to mot standard which may have changed.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:07 PM

yes you would need to get it MOTed and they may also want to inspect it as they are tightening up on things like this.

#5 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

Nicks right you need to be careful, the DVLA are jumping on various people from various heights

The roof will be worth 120 with pillars, problem is they are big when it comes to sending

Engine is an unknown, it may well look sealed, but water usually gets down the carb.

#6 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:56 PM

There's a chance the dvla have already reclaimed the reg if it's been untaxed for ages, does he have a current v5c?

#7 JonC

JonC

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:43 PM

Yes he says so, have no reason to disbelieve him but not seen it yet. Wish I'd taken a photo of the car and could do a check on the plate. Realistically I don't think it's worth much at all, only legit use would be for a heritage shell rebuild or scrap it keeping anything that looks salvageable like the roof. There's a mid sixtees hornet there as well and a metro turbo engine somewhere.

#8 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:20 AM

There's a chance the dvla have already reclaimed the reg if it's been untaxed for ages, does he have a current v5c?

That does not happen

#9 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

That does not happen

If the car has been off the road long enough the car may not be in the system anymore regardless of whether you have the paper log book or not, even if your claim to recover the plate is honoured it will become 'non transferable' making the transfer to another vehicle element of this impossible even with a heritage shell at a later date, it might even be non transferable already on receipt of the new v5.

#10 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

https://www.gov.uk/v...on/old-vehicles

Note the words 'if' and 'may' and 'not registered with the dvla', under the rules years ago the number could have been sold off when the car was quietly rotting away, might be on a new Range Rover by now!

#11 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:27 AM

https://www.gov.uk/v...on/old-vehicles

Note the words 'if' and 'may' and 'not registered with the dvla', under the rules years ago the number could have been sold off when the car was quietly rotting away, might be on a new Range Rover by now!

" If "  its  "not registered with the DVLA"  for what ever reason, it won't legally be on any vehicle on a UK road.

I don't believe the DVLA sold numbers that had history...what if the original number correct car rolled out of a barn ? and the owner had the old original log book ? I think there would be sewage

#12 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:59 AM

If it hasn't been taxed since 1983 you CANNOT guarantee that you'll still have that reg, no it won't be on another car but they'll ask to see the car and an owner's club report before giving it back to you, a roof and an old log book won't be enough.

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:53 AM

someone is having as similar issue on facebook where he has restored a 68 car that was as some time restored/rebuilt .... with a 71 shell. it has not kept the original reg.

#14 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:52 AM

See I'm not going mad :)

#15 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

And as I said before even if you do get it back the original number becomes non transferable so you can't put it onto something else or sell it, if you've got no history of the car or sentimental link to the car it doesn't really matter does it as long as it gets registered for use, that's going to require a heritage shell and a huge wad of cash either way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users