#1 jamiemack

jamiemack

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on engine builders. I have used the search function but most of the threads were a few years old, they did give some insight however.

I have managed to buy back the mini clubman my Dad bought for me when I was 18 (13 years ago!). My Dad and I are planning to go through it and sort the various niggles one of which is a new engine and gear box.

We want to buy the engine and box built ready to drop in as we have plenty to do else where.

We know we want the following 1380cc, webber 45, straight cut gear box, but apart from that we will be looking to the engine builder for advice on the detail. I would like to leave the option open for maybe converting to supercharger or turbo later on though so it might be worth investing in a decent bottom end.

We have narrowed down the following companies and are looking for any advice/feedback from recent experiences

ML Motorsports - https://www.facebook...rt-14546041155/ - I can't find a bad word about them on here but the threads are old.

MED Engineering - https://www.facebook...ceTechnologies/ - It seems they know what they are doing but can be expensive?

VMAX SCART - https://www.vmaxscart.co.uk/ - This guy does the supercharger kits which is a plus as likley i'll get the kit from there one day if we go SC. It doesn't explicitly say on the site but I've read somewhere he does complete engine builds?

Guess Works - http://www.guess-works.com/ - I've heard great reviews about the gearboxes from here and same as VMAX I've heard rumors they do full engine builds but it's not expliclity stated on their website?

The Car Kitchen - https://www.facebook.../thecarkitchen/ - These guys seem fairly new, look pretty pro and seem to have a lot of experience with mini's.

Any thoughts on the above or someone else I should look at?

We live in Jersey so it will need shipped here anyway so as a result location doesn't really matter but no further up than Yorkshire would be a pain.

Thanks for reading

- Jamie

Edited by jamiemack, 13 February 2018 - 10:48 AM.

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,893 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:05 AM

Rob Walker? AC Dodd?

Rob did the engineering work for my engine and has built a collegues recently. Both to a very high standard and he's happy to talk about your specs and requirements. 

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

why the 45 weber and SC box? are you going to be hill climbing it?

as with there being a max 40mph limit on Jersey a weber would be my last choice of carb as it would be pushing too much fuel into the engine most of the time.

#4 jamiemack

jamiemack

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:11 PM

why the 45 weber and SC box? are you going to be hill climbing it?

as with there being a max 40mph limit on Jersey a weber would be my last choice of carb as it would be pushing too much fuel into the engine most of the time.

It will only be used for weekend blasts, possibly sprints and a few track days. Basically I've always wanted a balls out mini and while the engine is out we may as well cut the bulk head and fit a webber box.

#5 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:32 PM

Shame there aren't any on Jersey - I've found having your engine builder close to hand a real bonus when picking up and dropping off parts.
I'm using Auto engineering in Chard Somerset - they seem to have a good local reputation for motorsport work incl minis but as I haven't got anything machined back yet I can't say either way yet.

#6 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

vmax are too busy to do engines (i asked) and i suspect John Guess is too.. slark?

#7 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

Edited by johnv, 13 February 2018 - 08:40 PM.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

As well as considering build quality, consider too how they handle any warranty work. Hopefully that won't be needed but it would be nice to know that won't turn in to a nightmare of it's own if called on.

#9 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:08 PM

Can highly recommend MED, have always had very good service from them. Work has always been done on time, any posted items delivered next day, and friendly advice. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for in life.

#10 MeredithW

MeredithW

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

I can definitely recommend Andy Davies at ML Motorsport. He works closely with AC Dodd, and they built me a great road engine 3 yrs ago that's still going very strong. Backup and support are top notch as well.

#11 OzOAP

OzOAP

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:40 PM

I would defiantly include dynoing into your budget, then at least you know the engine is fully sorted, ready to install.

#12 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

AC Dodd or Keith Calver, I suspect most builders will be busy with Motorsport prep

#13 Zach P-D

Zach P-D

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:20 AM

+1 for Keith Calver at CalverST, top bloke to deal with and really know's what he is doing with the A series. 

#14 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:38 PM

Another vote for Slarks

#15 ace01

ace01

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:36 PM

My vote would be for Southam Mini and Metro. 

Good quality build and machining.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users