danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

hi guys, 

another day another dodgy fix! the boot hinge panel has been repaired in the horrible way i kind of expected, the damaged part was cut out, a piece of steel spot welded from behind the good metal and the rest just loaded up with filler

my question is, am i better off with the panel that goes up to the bottom of the rear lights of the one that goes up to the rear window for an extra 20 quid? new section of boot floor is going in too

http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

or

http://www.minispare...09.aspx|Back to

thanks folks!

BzCEgYm.jpg

NC6HxWM.jpg

VPym2dt.jpg

8aVZuZl.jpg

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:04 PM

I'm in the process of carrying out this repair myself, hinge panel, boot floor, rear valance and valance closing plates with subframe mount reinforcements and repairs to the rears of the rear arches. I opted for just the hinge panel, haven't actually started welding it in yet as the boot floor, arches and closing panels are taking me longer than I expected. Not sure if hinge panel or rear panel are the easier options. Might be better off buying the panel to below the rear window and just use what you need of it for the £20 price difference.

Attached Files

#3 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

personally,i think I would change the lot.i guess it depends how confident you are.

#4 TimDaly

TimDaly

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:12 PM

I'm thinking the panel that just goes up to the rear lights would require less linear length of weld, and in areas with greater strength (more bends and curves).  This should make it easier to weld without the usual warpage that thin steel often does.

I guess it depends how straight and solid the whole area is.

Tim.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

looks like you may have a lot more cutting to do. half the boot floor has been replaced- the inner side of the joining seam has been patched.......

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:25 PM

Whats your budget and whats your welding like.??

Looking at those pictures,

1:- Boot floor has been repaired

2:- Hinge panel as mentioned

3:- Rear of the l/h quarter panel has bodgery evident as well.

Sooooo going from there, what's the rest of the boot floor like underneath (this is the telling point and remember its still thin metal ie 0.9mm) if you look and its rusty at all then seriously consider a full boot floor. Not cheap i know but then that will give you a clean slate. Also and this is personal preference i would buy the Heritage one piece hinge panel. I know Shifty does good work with the Magnum individual sections but then its also down to budget???

#7 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:55 AM

Budget: no problem
Welding capabilities: quite good, no problem tackling either method

It's funny as the car has all the same kind or repairs, over lapped panels and a slap of filler to hide it, up until now it's all been that way but solid underneath
My plan is to do the left arch, weird repairs in 2 places, boot floor is still up for debate really, the repair is clearly a mess but the only other problem with it is the rust hole where the spare wheel sat, the back end of each quarter is on the list too, the valance was replaced (I assume when the other 'repairs' we're done) but the closing panels were left out so the shopping list was:
Valance
Valance closing panels
Left arch
Rear part of boot floor
Arch to boot floor braces
Rear panel
Rear of quarter panel repairs

I'll have a look at doing the full boot floor, it's kind of a no expense spared build but I'm already a couple of thousand over what I expected it all to cost but that's not really a problem when it's all done right

Thanks for help lads

#8 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

back to this one again guys, planning on tackling it over the next few days. still unsure on the rear panel, bought the larger panel that goes up to the back window

so do i cut it down to the bit that i need or do i cut the whole lot out and replace the panel as is

personally i'm leaning more towards the full panel idea, unless anyone can suggest better options

thanks in advance!

#9 CBJ805T

CBJ805T

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

If you've bought the whole panel I'd use it. 

Benefits of the smaller panel are less seam welds to 1: remove and 2: reweld - Roller welded, so you've got to grind the whole lot off! 

The downside is you've got to be very accurate in the position of the panel to make sure you don't change the boot lid aperture and you've got a longer seam weld under each light cluster to make beautiful - my photo was before I attempted this!

Benefits of a big panel are the reverse. The boot opening is fixed and there is shorter seam weld between the window and seam. 

The downside is there are 2 long runs of roller weld to remove and the spots around the window. 

I did the smaller panel, but have also replaced both rear 1/4s so know the pain of grinding off the roller welds :-) 

https://www.amazon.c...TnbB7Vdj0h4dLGU

https://www.amazon.c...iAqUEzftYw2EueF

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:39 PM

The half rear panel is a nice easy job to do. Remember though to remove off the old panel the catch plate for the boot lid latch. Also you will more than likely find some rust on the rear panel to shelf seam so do the panel from the bottom of the window down.

Yup roller spot welds are a pain down the seams but nothing a grinder will not fix.

#11 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:00 PM

Right so this is all going really well, panel fits pretty good but I've run into a problem, the back window opening seems to be about an inch too big! Easy fix, just have to raise the rear panel up
Question time, can someone tell me what the size of the rear window opening is supposed to be?
Thanks!

#12 foreverfixin

foreverfixin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

I've seen somewhere a photo with dimensions added but It could have been of the front screen. I'll have a look and see if I saved it. I need the rear aperture dimensions myself as I didn't measure it before removing the boot lid panel. I wrongly thought the rear shelf would be rigid but at the centre it's got lots of vertical movement.

#13 foreverfixin

foreverfixin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:26 PM

I can't find the photo I referred to but I have found a note of the dimensions; sorry to say but it referred to the front screen.

If you line up the swage lines of the new rear panel with those of the rear quarter panels won't the lower screen flange find its own position? Granted, knowing the aperture dimensions would be a handy cross-check.

#14 mattmiglia

mattmiglia

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

Right so this is all going really well, panel fits pretty good but I've run into a problem, the back window opening seems to be about an inch too big! Easy fix, just have to raise the rear panel up
Question time, can someone tell me what the size of the rear window opening is supposed to be?
Thanks!

From the centre I get mine to 365mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users